Fiesta PAS pump question.

I've been trying to discover the source of a loudish ticking noise on my old 2003 Fiesta. It's something down on the driver's side of the engine, so I'm taking things off until I find the culprit. It happens when you start it up and goes away as the thing warms up. Sounds like someone rattling a can of aerosol paint.

I've got the PAS pump off, and that makes a similar noise when you turn the pulley back and forth in opposite directions, however it's not nearly loud enough. I can imagine that the engine, putting more energy into it, could make it louder, but it would also require the force to also be applied in opposing directions at tickover (like I do by hand). I'm not sure if it would do that, or if the force is consistently applied in the usual direction of rotation. Also, it's possible that a good pump would make that noise anyway. Should I just replace it? I don't want to replace a good (if very old) pump, only to find that the noise is still there.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

Has it got hydraulic tappets? They're common these days. And at high miles can rattle a bit when cold. But nothing to worry about.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

I wish it had, but no. One has to put shims in when they are worn. Maybe they are, in fact, worn?

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

I'm all for keeping old stuff going, but TBH at that age I don't think I'd be doing much investigation, I'd just wait until it becomes what we call in my business a "revealed fault".

Reply to
newshound

Unfortunately, I've grown attached to the thing. I know it's a mistake, but there you go :-) It's been making this noise for about a year now, though, and nothing seems to be developing with it. It's more embarrasing than anything else. I suppose I'm just looking for something to do, TBH.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre

If you slacken/remove the auxiliary/fan belt so the only thing rotating is the engine, do you still get this ticking noise?

Reply to
Fredxx

No. But one annoying thing is that it does not always do it. It is mostly there in the cold (when I least fancy working on it), and it always goes away when the engine starts to warm up. Of course, this means that it is less likely to be the PAS pump. My least favourite possibility is that it is the cambelt tensioner clattering around; but that is what I can most imagine it sounding like.

And thanks for reminding me to try this. I'd often thought of doing this while driving along, listening to the noise; but in the excitement of getting ready to do the job, completely forgot to try it.

Reply to
Dan S. MacAbre