Small Run Around - Recommendations

Hi

OT for this group but you guys generally speak sense.

I am looking to replace my van with a small run about, looking at spending around £3k after Christmas, something sort of Fiesta sized that must be economical to run MPG wise, diesel preferred but i'll consider a petrol on its merits.

Must be maintainable and new as possible with low ish mileage, it'll be an inter-town hopper doing 3-500miles a week, with a semi regular motorway mid distance trips out. Not too bothered about posh toys, more practical things of importance and economy.

I have been considering the 1.4TDCI Festers that the local plod steem to knock about in though preferably not one of theirs... I wouldnt like really to go much smaller than a Fester or bigger than an Astra....

Ideas?

Also anyone want to buy a 2003 Combo Van LPG Factory Fit (now repaired)

160K... Offers. Inside and out good V Clean condition :-) (never been a builders van)

Tom

Reply to
Kipling

MK3 Mondeo TDCi. 3-500 miles a week in a hatchback isn't much fun. It'll return over 50MPG quite easily.

Reply to
Conor

Ahh but i'm only small :-)

I'd never considered anything soo large, but i suppose ex repwagons go cheaply too, i will give them some consideration.

Tom

Reply to
Kipling
[...]

If you only got 43mpg from a TDCi Mondy on a gentle, constant speed run, there's only two possibilities:

1) It's seriously knackered. 2) You left it in third gear all the way.

I'd expect close to 40mpg from a petrol Mondeo on that sort of run!

In your not-so-humble opinion, of course.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

one of my customers has a 6 speed tdci mondeo and tows a large caravan, he gets mid 50's.

another customer has a diesel passat, he claims 80 plus for normal use (I don't believe that, but I do believe the mondeo figure, even though I dislike them) The TDCI takes a little getting used to compared with most vehicles and if you are used to petrol stuff it is quite different in the way it needs to be driven, as a lorry driver conor will be better suited to it than most people.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

SAY WHAT???

Thats because you can't drive it for shit. I have posted proof in the past of the trip meter after a 30 mile journey actually showing 70MPG. Coming back from Nottingham up the M1 the other week with my mate in I averaged 63MPG.

Piece of piss to get mid 50's out of this car but then again you need to actually be able to drive.

Reply to
Conor

I can tell when the wife has driven it because it says anywhere between

48-52MPG. She normally drives a FTO which needs to be run up to 7000 RPM to get the best out of it and she drives the Mondeo like her FTO. Interestingly, I actually manage to drive it quicker than she does because unlike Nige, I know that once you get much past 3500 RPM all you're doing is turning diesel into smoke.
Reply to
Conor

halfords had a sale on Booster cushions and child seats if you are that small you will not reach the pedals or see out of the windows. A SMART car would be good for you.

Reply to
R Gower

He says that because he thinks each mark on the fuel guage is 1 gallon when it is nearer 2, so he would be correct if it was 40mpg! He is doubling the figure, but not on purpose.

Reply to
R Gower

His passat has the fuel computer that shows mpg, I am certain that sometimes it shows 80 mpg, but not for a whole tank, mind you he has done 250,000 miles in it so he must be happy with it !!

Reply to
Mrcheerful
+AD4APg- He says that because he thinks each mark on the fuel guage is 1 +AD4APg- gallon when it is nearer 2, so he would be correct if it was 40mpg+ACE- +AD4APg- He is doubling the figure, but not on purpose. +AD4APg- +AD4- +AD4- His passat has the fuel computer that shows mpg, I am certain that +AD4- sometimes it shows 80 mpg, but not for a whole tank, mind you he has done +AD4- 250,000 miles in it so he must be happy with it +ACEAIQ-

R Gower is Roger (Clive etc.) the +ACI-tiscali idiot+ACI-, he's morphed again.

Best not to waste your time Mr C...

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

I should have guessed !!!!!!!!

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Mine says 200mpg on it when i coast down a hill.

Why folk have to lie about MPG i'll never know. It's the car equivelant of 'the one that got away'

Reply to
Nige