swapping the engines over in Fiesta Mk4s

My point is that sometimes what the manufacturers and owners call an engine doesn't have that much to do with the actual capacity of it all the time. The 1.25 is 1249 CC, but by some fecked up logic, some car makers don't choose to follow that pattern. Alfa made the 1750 GTV with the 1779cc engine and put it in another car called the 1800 IIRC.

Reply to
Doki

If your current car has high mileage then you'd have to be careful that you don't end up spending lots of money on the running gear that won't have been replaced.

You may be able to find another ghia fiesta mk4 for a decent price, there's enough about and you may pay a couple of hundred more for one with a decent engine but it'd save you the hassle and you could sell your old one as is. Although I guess you can be sure of your car's history and you may not be of another one. I don't think that the bells and whistles make that much difference to the selling price at this sort of age, it's more about low-mileage/FSH.

I had a 1998 MK4 1.4 ghiaX. I loved it but pt/exed it earlier this year when it got to 95k and began to show signs of needing a new clutch etc, it was well maintained too, had air con ew, cd, electric height adjust seat and the like but I wouldn't have got more than =A31000 privately because of the mileage, that's why I got rid then before I shelled out more cash and the car went over 100k and was worth zilch. I pt/ex'ed it for =A31500 on a 2004 seat ibiza.

Reply to
loony

Thanks loony. You may well have a point here. I'll think about it.

If I change the engine I would of course do the clutch at the same time

- false economy not to at this mileage (80k) I would have thought.

I've got a 500 mile round trip to do in a couple of weeks (the car is not used much normally) so that'll tell me how long I might hope to go on with the current engine!

Cheers,

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Well perhaps a long blast is what it needs - you'll have to take a can of oil with you though. Mine used to drink oil a bit too, not as much as yours though. I had to top it up fairly frequently. I'm paranoid that I'm reading the level wrong on my new car as I've done 8000 miles since march and not had to put a drop of oil in it. I guess I should expect that from a newish car but I'd gotten used to the Fiesta.

Great cars though the mk4s with the zetec engines. I had some trouble with the ignition coil on mine at about 80k, no warning it just started mis-firing all of a sudden one day, apparently quite a common fault. I'm not sure how easy it is to check that though!!

Reply to
loony

Yes - my last one, a Mark 3 (1.1l HCS single point injection) wasn't exactly low on oil consumption either! Mybe I should stop pouring it in the petrol tank :-)

Thanks for the tip. I shall watch out for it.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett