Sweepstake guesses at the fault

On Monday a Daewoo Kalos is due in, I have never seen it before or even looked under the bonnet of one. The problem description is: MIL light on, does not run well, gets to 50 and sounds like 'an aeroplane' Someone (more than one, possibly) has looked at it and tried various things (shudder)

Generally I would turn something like this away, but things are quiet and the family of the owners boyfriend are customers for the last thirty five years, and they asked nicely.

So, guess away and if I find out what is wrong and fix it, I'll let you know one way or not.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Is "MIL light" the Mother-In-Law light?

Reply to
Graham J

That'd be an improvement, surely?

"Gets up to 50". Hmm. So first things first - is it really speed/rev dependent, or do they mean "gets up to temperature"?

If umpteen people have tried umpteen things, has anybody tried to actually read fault codes?

Reply to
Adrian

I doubt it, even mechanics with code readers often just seem to guess at the fault, I once had a Golf V5 in with the light on and running badly, the garage that it had gone to had not known what the fault was and sent him away, a few seconds with the code reader showed it was the MAF.

I took it that when the car reaches about 50mph...etc.

I quite like a mystery, usually.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I had similar symptoms on a Chysler PT Cruiser CRD Even the aeroplane noise The Turbo air pipe had partly blown off. Refitted pipe and tightened jubilee clip Reset the engine management light All worked fine

Bob

Reply to
Bob Dodds

Small problem with that theory. Apart from a Direwoo Kalos not being a turbo diesel, it'd go whoosh every time once the hose was off.

Reply to
Adrian

Running on 3cyl, duff injector.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

I like that one, fits the description well.

Mind you, is the Kalos three cylinder to start with? I looked at a Matiz once and that seemed to be a few parts short of a full engine.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I'm wondering what a Focus EcoBoost would sound like on two cylinders. ;-)

Reply to
Gordon H

I had an old ex-police senator 3L (the Opel Monza shaped one). The viscous coupling on the cooling fan seized up and that sounded like an aircraft propellor at higher revs. Crucified the economy too, which wasn't specatacular to begin with. Lovely old motor though with pleanty of character. Really miss that one now.

JB

Reply to
JB

TBH, I wouldn't know a Kalos from a hole in the ground, it just reminded me of a Daewoo Flobblybob that came my way once! According to Wikipedia they're all 4-cyl tho.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

I agree, a car that I enjoyed driving. I have had viscous couplings lock up, squeal at speed (56mph almost precisely, which made the journey home very long) and even one that fell off completely, but in general nothing modern has one.

Reply to
Mrcheerful