Teed Off - Failed MOT at Renault!

I had my first experience of Renault customer care today. Wasn't too impressed to say the least.

Took car in for its first full servicing and MOT today, dropped it off first thing in the morning, left my mobile number and they said they'd call me.

Never got a call, but I went down at the end of the day and found out my car flunked its MOT test.

They were a bit ambiguous about why. They said the main reason was because of a ball joint in the steering column that needs replacing.

Shouldn't they have picked up on this beforehand though when they were doing the servicing?

They also told me a few other things that they'd recommend I'd get fixed as well, I'm not entirely sure if it also failed because of these, and if it did I would be quite annoyed because I had actually taken them a list of faults and things that needed doing when I dropped it off.

Things like the left mirror not working and changing direction. As well as the front license plate glass being cracked.

Would a car fail its MOT because of the License plate glass being cracked and the left wing mirror electrics not working? Because I had informed them about this beforehand that they needed fixing. I had given the girl in the morning a list which I handed to her, and I also left a list on the seat of the car too.

I have left the car with them over the weekend so they can sort the ball joint out on Monday as they didn't have a spare part! And I believe its supposed to be cheaper for a re-test if you leave the car there isn't it?

I will have to get back in touch with them though because I can't afford for it to fail again, if any of these other recommendations are vital for it to pass its MOT I'll have to get them done as well.

I think £45 to fix a license plate at the front though with a bit of cracked glass is a bit steep. And to fix the electric mirror they are quoting me £150! I am guessing this can't be repaired under warranty? The warranty expires next Tuesday as the car will be 3 years old then.

I think this is going to cost me a fortune. I completely forgot to ask them if they had fixed the problem I had with rain water filling in the side pocket which I was wanting to get repaired under warranty. I reckon all this servicing and MOT etc is going to cost as much as 6 or

7 hundred by the looks of things.

I think next time I will have to take it to a different place for its MOT and get one of those pre-MOT tests as well to make sure it passes first time.

I am starting to wish I'd bought a Honda or Toyota. I think it's a dead cert that my next car after this one will definitely be one of those makes.

Cheers for any advice

John

Reply to
John

Possibly. This is more likely due to them not having the part.

They have to give you a list of things it's failed for, and advise items, ie things which don't fail, but need doing.

The mirror electrics would not fail it.

The number plate could, especially if the crack goes through a screw hole.

Because I had

So do I.

And to fix the electric mirror they are

Depends what's wrong with it.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

the steering joint should last longer than 3 years. the mirror electrics is not a fail. have you checked the fuses? if it is the mirror, then shop arround for the price as you should be able to buy one cheaper if you know someone who can fit it. cost of the re-mot is down to the gararge, it is not allways cheaper.

Reply to
banjo

I think you are wrong there re wing mirrors:-

  1. An obligatory mirror: an exterior mirror fitted to the nearside left hand side when seated In the drivers seat) Reason for rejection:-

a. missing or insecure

b. so damaged or deteriorated that the view to the rear is seriously impaired

c. does not provide a view to the rear of the vehicle

d. not clearly visible from the drivers seat, or incapable of being adjusted to be clearly visible from the drivers seat

If it does not work as the OP states then d above means a rejection.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

i have been corrected :0)

Reply to
banjo

I only know Banjo because I thought you only needed a drivers wing mirror and interior mirror and hence was caught out. ;-)

Gio

Reply to
Gio

d. only states that the mirror must be visible from the drivers seat. It does not specifiy where the mirror has got to point. (ie. the mirror shouldn't be obscured by being misadjusted and being obscured by the a-pillar, or obscured due to stickers on the window, or ....)

Only one that could apply is c., but only if the mirror is that far out of adjustment that it does not provide a view to the rear.

Reply to
moray

It depends on the age of the vehicle, as to whether a n/s mirror is obligatory or not.

Reply to
moray

messagenews:SlNwh.4545$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-win.ntli.net...

not sure where you got your info from but im afraid its wrong.

Obligatory mirrors.

Obligatory mirrors are,

a. an exterior mirror fitted to the offside (right-hand side when seated in the drivers seat), or

b, an exterior mirror fitted to the nearside fleft hand side when seated In the drivers seat), or

c. an interior mirror.

Passenger vehicles with no more than 7 passenger seats first used before 1 August 1978 must have any one of the above options.

so what it means is, if you have an interior mirror & an offside exterior mirror you DO NOT need a nearside exterior mirror.so your broken nearside mirror would not come into the test.

Reg

Reply to
kronenburgh

The cracked bit is in the centre not near the screw bits.

I can get two brand new plates on the internet for about £25 or £30, and with a St George instead of the Euro flag too.

The mirrors bend in and out no problem when I park up. It is just the left mirror itself within its frame that wont alter direction electronically. If someone else was going to drive it they would need to open the window and alter its direction manually to the best position for them for the left mirror. The right mirror you can do it with the button.

I believe it is just an electrical fault that is the cause of it not working.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

messagenews:SlNwh.4545$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-win.ntli.net...

scrap that its been a long day !!!!

Reply to
kronenburgh

Its not the mirror itself that there is a problem with it is just the electrics, it wont alter direction the left one. Only the right one will alter direction. The left you have to do it manually with your hand.

drat! More money to le grande derriere limited!

John

Reply to
John

messagenews:SlNwh.4545$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe7-win.ntli.net...

scrap that its been a long day !!!!

Reply to
kronenburgh

It is clearly visible when I'm sat in the car. It can't be adjusted from within the car for the left mirror because the electrics are not working for that mirror, I think it is an electrical fault. If I wanted to adjust it I would have to put the window down and do it with my hand manually.

I had given the girl at Renault a list of faults with the car when I dropped it off, and that was one of them, so I would be a bit ticked off if that was one of the things it failed on when I had given them a list beforehand of things that needed taking care of.

I will have to contact them to clarify if it was definitely just the ball joint that it failed on.

John

Reply to
John

Realistically, it serves you right for buying french.

Have you never asked why the cars are so cheap in the first place?

Main dealers are always dear, as they don't give a damn about retaining customers, since there is one born every minute.

Japanese cars are built to an entirely different standard, particularly Toyota, who long ago embraced kaisen.

I have a ten year old Japanese car which to date has needed only standard service parts (brakes, tyres and a bulb, oil and filters, I have yet to fit plugs !!!) The only real failure has been the UK market immobiliser/alarm which has died and been disconnected)

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Reg I put my hands up, and should go back to the MOT station, if it was not over 12 months ago. Fortunately at the time they did a free retest when I returned later the day after reconnecting the motor flexi coupling. I suppose I should have done it before submitting but it had stuck it the position that suited Jackie so I dismissed it. The page you listed is a good one so thanks for that but the details you refer to are for cars after

1978 not before:- Passenger vehicles with more than 7 passenger seats of any age, and all passenger vehicles first used on or after I August 1978 (not being a minibus as above), must have two mirrors, one of which must be option 'a'. Gio
Reply to
Gio

No. The OP says the mirror can be adjusted manually, therefore it passes.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

I know it does. School boy error. The bells and whistles did look shiney when I bought it though and I thought it was good value at the time.

Yep well my next car will almost certainly be either a Honda or Toyota.

John

Reply to
John

A bit of a sweeping statement, I think, tar them all with the same brush?

That applies to ALL makes.

And I have seen 10 year old japanese cars which had very little bodywork left round the rust patches.

To get back to the original post. The mirror fault ought to be covered under the warranty, unless it excludes electrical faults. The main dealer will only replace the mirror, and £150 sounds about right, but you will be able to get a pattern one for a third of that, well I can for Peugeots. Don't know what ball joint has gone, but most likely the bottom swivel joint. This can get damaged by kerbs etc. Again, only a few quid, £9 for my

306 ones.

The mirror should certainly not have caused an MOT failure, but they should have given you a proper list of the fail items, they are obliged to do this. They should have checked for all MOT items in the service though. I would certainly complain to the manager as he shoud be doing better than that, and to Renault customer services, though I doubt they will take much notice.

Bought two number plates on Ebay for £13 a month ago. Place in Scotland. Even Halfords only charge about £16, and will fit them for a couple of quid.

Now remind me why I don't like main dealers?

Reply to
Brian