Testing a relay

Hi, I was wondering if it's posable to test a relay easily?

Dan

Reply to
Daniel Gibbs

Odds are if it goes click it works, after that you need to apply 12V to the coil pins & a resistance meter to the contacts

Reply to
Duncan Wood

coil pins & a resistance meter to the contacts Cheers, I'll give that a go though unluckily the fuse goes so I don't know if it's the relay or a short somewhere else. Id rather test the relay b4 replacing it to find out it's shorting somewhere else.

dan

Reply to
Daniel Gibbs

If the fuse blows then the relay is probably working fine - if it wasn't working it wouldn't pass current when you press the switch or whatever.

Reply to
Mark W

The answer has to depend on the relay. To get a more useful answer I suggest that you post full details of your car and problem.

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

coil pins & a resistance meter to the contacts

That'll be after the relay, unless the relays a strange molten lump...

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Hmm. Thats a good point.. Looks like I'll have to the the car in :(

dan

Reply to
Daniel Gibbs

It's most unlikely the relay itself is taking a fuse. Whatever it's feeding might well, though.

Depending on what it's for, there are often identical relays used for other functions, so a simple swap can check it. Make sure they have the same part number, though, as some can look the same but be different.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

I posted earlier but had no response.

95 Mistabishi Colt Glx. The Left Hand Tail light & dash illumination doesn't work. I've replaced the bulbs in the dash with no effect and swapped the Right Hand light cluster to the Left Hand connector with no luck.. The fuse blows the second I put the lights on so i'm guessing it's related. My next line was to check the relay then try with the dash not connected to see if it's the dash that's got a short in.

If that doesn't work (as I cant find a circuit diagram ) I'll have to find a auto electrician :(

dan

Reply to
Daniel Gibbs

Daniel Gibbs wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Pay particular attention to where wiring goes through body work or where it is exposed to abrasion. Ten to one there is a bare wire somwhere.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Are the clusters mounted on the tailgate? In which case odds are there's just a broken wire in the rubber sleeve.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thats what i'm thinking, or the dash is shorting somwheer.

dan

Reply to
Daniel Gibbs

broken wire in the rubber sleeve.

Tailgate? the clusters are fixed to the rear side(s) of the car. The bulbs are got at by uncereing the backing plate and giving it a yank.. - I'll check the connector as I was thinking there may have been a problem with it - whats the best way of checking - stripping it and putting it back together?

dan

Reply to
Daniel Gibbs