Testing glowplugs

Well, based on what I've seen with a single failed glowplug before, it takes a few seconds for the car to go from running rough to what I would consider normal running (for when it had only just been started). I figure that what's happened at that point is the diesel has started self-igniting under compression without glowplug assistance. Therefore, I think it's a few seconds.

Sorry, I thought that was obvious from my original answer.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

a few seconds, up to about twenty, depending on temperature and engine condition

Reply to
mrcheerful

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "ThePunisher" saying something like:

Depends on the engine, air temp, quality of fuel, turboed or not, etc, etc.

I've seen glowplug-less bus engines take a lot of cranking on cold mornings but they do start, albeit smokily.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The message from "ThePunisher" contains these words:

Depends. Some engines don't have glowplugs. Transits of a certain age didn't - though there were times when they were complete bastards to start because of minor degradations of age which wouldn't have been a problem if either a) serviced properly or b) fitted with glowplugs.

Reply to
Guy King

Exactly, which means the OPs rough running engine has nothing to do with glowplugs.

Reply to
ThePunisher

Can you explain your deduction?

Reply to
Vim Fuego

"ThePunisher" wrote in news:JCjch.1672 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net:

Eh? Of course it has. It's only rough when very cold on start up and runs sweet after a few seconds. When the outside temp is warmer, no problem. It's obviously the glow plugs, or one of them anyway, as it sounds like its running on three then the last one kicks in.

Reply to
Tunku

The message from Tunku contains these words:

I've lost track of this thread, but if that's what the OP's symptoms are then it's exactly the same as the symptoms I've had every time I've had a plug fail.

Reply to
Guy King

Well, that's not what you said before,

"Engine starts ok, feels like it's missing on one before it warms. Nice plume of smoke on cold mornings :-)"

Seems your defination of a warm engine is one thats beem running a few seconds.

Reply to
ThePunisher

Forget about it, the OPs 'warm' engine hadn't even been running for 30 seconds

Reply to
ThePunisher

As I said before, it depends on what's getting warm...whole engine or inside of the cylinders.

Reply to
Vim Fuego

"ThePunisher" wrote in news:zzlch.942$3S1.691 @newsfe1-gui.ntli.net:

Warm enough for ignition, which is what this thread is about.

Reply to
Tunku

Well, why didn't you say that in the first place?

"Engine starts ok"

"feels like it's missing on one before it warms"

Yes, you can tell from those words of wisdom that what you ment is 'warm enough for ignition'

Reply to
ThePunisher

I think that if you said to most people that the 'engine' is warm they would take it as meaning the temp gauge has started to move, not the insides of the cylinders are warm (which of course only takes a couple of seconds on any engine)

Reply to
ThePunisher

Contxt is everything though.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Depends who the 'you' is. If it's me, obviously yes, if it's you, obviously not. ;-)

Reply to
Vim Fuego

Yes, and so is writing in plain English,

"Engine starts ok but runs rough for a few seconds with a large plum of smoke, like it's only running on a couple of cylinders, could this be caused by the glowplugs?"

Reply to
ThePunisher

The message from "ThePunisher" contains these words:

Yes.

Can't we just test them and fix it?

Reply to
Guy King

"ThePunisher" wrote in news:5gGch.3118$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe4-gui.ntli.net:

as opposed to

"Engine starts ok, feels like it's missing on one before it warms. Nice plume of smoke on cold mornings :-)"

Reply to
Tunku

Exactly, you'll notice there's no 'before it warms' in my sentence.

Reply to
ThePunisher