That fiesta again.

Remember the 1.25l Zetec that burns lots of Oil (about 2l/1000m now)

It's pinking a bit if you strain it at low revs. Is this likely to be knackered spark plugs caused by burning oil?

I'll take them out later and have a look.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Possibly but are you sure it's pinking and not bottom end rattling?

Reply to
Conor

Hmm - that's a question. I don't think I've ever heard bottom end rattling. Is that the time it does it - under heavy load at low revs?

I guess pinking is unlikely with modern engine management systems but it is a light noise it's not clunking.

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

In message , Tony Brett writes

Nope, these engines do pink if you labour the engine at low revs. Low octane petrol is the main culprit. Try a tank full of 98 RON petrol and see if it goes away.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Oil in the combustion chamber will effectively lower the octane rating, why is it burning the oil?

Reply to
Depresion

Knackered oil control rings I suspect. But it's a HUGE job to change these that would probably cost more than the car is worth (you can't remove the main bearings on this engine and then get them back again so you have to take the top and bottom off the engine to get at the pistons).

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

Maybe it's substandard petrol? It's started happening fairly suddenly after filling up (from faily empty) at Sainsbury's Heyford Hill, Oxford on Monday 3rd Sep about 7pm. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

OK - I used 1/4 of the tank and topped up with 98RON. Seems fine now, thanks. And it passed the MOT first time on Saturday. Hooray!

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett