OTish - Car spluttering when pulling off (LPG) - s'not all that different to a 2.25 landy really!

OTish as its not a landrover, but i was thinking and it really doesnt differ much from a 2.25 petrol for all intents and purposes! (its even got the same carb as the 101) so someone might be able to help!

My car is an old saab. 2L single carb running single point open-loop LPG. Car has been running like s**te for a while as the points were buggered and kept burning out really quickly as expected for lots of miles on LPG. LPG mpg has been down and ive had to tweak the adjusters on the vaporiser and the flow to make it run (it kept stalling going up steep hills!)

Thismorning i fitted a new set of points and a maplins £10 DIY electric ignition module. In the process of doing this i had to take the dissy off to free off the stuck screw for the condensor (now removed)

The car is now running again, and the timing is about right (20btdc vs the factory 4 star setting of 17btdc). The idle is now rock solid and it doesnt keep trying to stall - so the electric ignition is a success :)

However when i pull off and when changing gear the car seems to splutter a bit at about 2000rpm. Once it is going or at idle it is great. What is likely to be causing this spluttering? Could i just be running too rich or lean? (due to the messing ive had to do with the LPG adjusters) Or is there anything else people can suggest i look at?

I'm using the stock points gap with the 'leccy ignition.

spark plugs are probably only 5 or 6k old and were gapped a month or 2 ago. Leads 12 months or so old and look pretty good.

Reply to
Tom Woods

now fixed :)

coil was full of rust inside the contact at the top (and the end of the main ht lead was similarily shitty), and the pipe to my air box had loads of holes in which cant have helped.

feels like a rocket now :)

Reply to
Tom Woods