The embiggening of cars...

...can be a bit of an embuggerance.

Thought I was hiring a ?medium? sized car on holiday (a Citroen Berlingo) but it seems to have morphed into something with SUV proportions and not really suited to the local roads.

Why can?t manufacturers just leave well alone when it comes to size? There seems to be a inexorable growth in size of all models over time.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Often claimed to be related to side impact protection. A lot of it is fashion, though, IMHO.

I have a narrow shared drive to my cottage, a Citroen CX estate fitted fine and a Scorpio went round if you were careful. Now I have to fold the mirrors on the Honda Jazz to clear.

Reply to
newshound

It's far easier to get big cars though crash tests.

Reply to
Peter Hill

I bet you left the drive out in the rain and it's shrunk :-)

Reply to
Rodney Pont

Given most cars still have about the same room (width) for passengers as ever, I often wonder about this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And weight. The VW Golf for example - 900kg in the 80s to 1400kg today.

Reply to
RJH

Chances are it does better MPG, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not far off double, I'd guess - 50mpg. And 115bhp for these new 1L econ-engines seems routine - again, not far off double an 80s Golf per litre.

At least, according to the figures. I get around 30mpg whatever I drive ;-)

Reply to
RJH

Our Toyota Alphard, an 8 seat minivan converted into a campervan, is smaller than my daily drive BMW 520d, ffs!

Reply to
italiancar

The red herring of car/ SUV width.

Our Outlander isn't that much wider than our Smart for Two. It looks much wider but if you check the measurements, there isn't much in it in real terms- under 6" (1.81m vs 1.663m)

Even a Ducato Van is only 1.87m wide so hardly that much wider than a Smart Car- even if it looks massive.

Perhaps some people just struggle knowing how big their vehicle is when driving etc.

Reply to
Brian Reay