The right torque wrench

In a leaflet in a newspaper Argos have just reduced the price of 'challenge' micrometer torque wrench from £22 to £15.

My spark plugs on my Corolla need a torque of 25Nm (18lb/ft). In argos blurb it says this wrench reads from 28Nm to 210 Nm. So i guess that rules it out.

Would anyone recommend a *reasonably-priced* wrench from somewhere, to fit my spark plugs in with please?

( Just as an aside, I've often wondered if there is a neat way to check a torque wrench? I imagine one metre lengths of wood with a Kilo of sugar hangin off it, but that cannot be easy to set up at the torque wrench end ? )

Reply to
john east

Duncan Wood

A box spanner, etc, with a T bar and one hand across the top of it. Tighten as hard as you can - it won't be far out.

However, someone is selling Sykes Pickavant spark plug torque wrenches (18 ft.lb only) on Ebay with a low starting price.

IMHO, reasonable price torque wrenches don't exist.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You get what you pay for. £22 full price for a torque wrench must be nearly 'pound shop' quality.

Teng tools, £38:

They have a number of others at slightly higher prices, but with a bigger range of torque, so probably more useful. This one at £44:

Take it to a calibration Co., only around £15-25.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Yep - You are not going to strip the thread of a spark plug so its not that critical

Ain't that true.

You can use another torque wrench coupled and see if they trigger at the same time. using two sockets and allen key between or allen key socket and a socket.

Reply to
Rob

I have three to span a reasonable range - 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" square drives with the largest one suitable for use with my tractor/FoB 4x4.

This is similar to one of the ones that I have that I consider "OK":

For the tractor I have a TENG 70-350NM torque wrench and I'd be lost without that. Well worth the £95 I spent on it, so "cheap" is a relative term as it always is.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You don't need a torque wrench. Just tighten them firmly - not as firm as if you were bolting a battleship together in a shipyard, but firm enough not to slacken off.

No problem.

McK.

Reply to
McKevvy