Totally hypothetical question

Pre-emptive maintenance. My mondeo is a 1996 model. Say for instance I wanted to change the water pump. Would it be worth my while to do it before it dies? Having it break down on the A1 for example could prove a lot costlier than changing it after 10 years.

How long to components like this last? Will they last the lifetime of the car/engine?

Is it worth disturbing engines of this age in this way?

Thanks Mark, the Numpty!

Reply to
Krycek

change it when the belts are replaced. regular maintenance checks will show the slow water loss that will precede failure, they always give warning signs, it just depends on whether you are listening/looking for them!!!

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Whilst they won't last the lifetime of the engine, how long is a peice of string?

Change the waterpump next time the cambelt is due.

Reply to
Conor

Why?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Petrol or Diesel?

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

In message , Sandy Nuts writes

I know the TD needs the belt off to do the pump change. I believe its the same with the silvertop petrol engine. The blacktop doesn't need the belt moving but the OP's Mondeo is a 96 which would be a silvertop.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

It'll be the silver top, but I done a belt on a 93 Mondeo with pump in situ, but the pulley removed. Some say that taking the entire pump out is less grief, but then I didn't have a cooling system to refill and bleed ;-)

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Because that part of the motor will already be stripped to get at it.

Reply to
Conor

The pump can be changed without disturbing the cambelt, though. I suppose I see where you're coming from. I was being pedantic as you may have presumed the water pump ran off the cam belt.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

In message , Sandy Nuts writes

Not on a silvertop zetec. The cambelt physically obstructs the waterpump, preventing it from being removed. When the belt routing was changed on the blacktop, it was then possible to remove the waterpump without disturbing the cambelt.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Diesel. But it's not a specific water pump question; just used as an example.

Reply to
Krycek

In message , Krycek writes

Then its not a particularly straightforward example because in case of your particular car, you get the opportunity of changing the waterpump at minimum cost every 40k miles (the cambelt change interval). To change it out of sync with the cambelt is quite expensive.

A better example might have been an alternator, power steering pump or coil pack which can be replaced without disturbing other bits of the engine.

FWIW, I recently replaced the waterpump on my son's Mondeo TD at 150k miles. It failed in between cambelt changes.

Reply to
Paul Giverin