Trade in.

Neighbour has just changed his ancient Golf CL for a more suitable vehicle to carry his even more ancient parents.

It was an 'L' reg - so '91 or so? And a genuine 35,000 miles in total. New MOT with no advisories. No obvious rust, but clear coat peeling in a few places and some minor dents. Good tyres, and a good runner. And filthy. More moss on it than Kate.

Garage gave him 100 quid for it against a 15,000 used car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not much interest to a garage though. They might have done better privately, or even in the ring. And at that age even something like a Golf might have corrosion in the electrics that could kill it tomorrow.

Reply to
newshound

Snag is resident's parking round here. May not be worth paying for a vistor's pass for every day until it can be sold on Ebay or whatever. And I've a feeling the local garages know this.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

'93-94, so a 22/23 year old car. Sadly to anyone other than the owner it's worth 10% of sod all really unless it's a model with catchet (say a Mk II GTi.) We have a glut of newer second hand cars anyway so it's probably more of a nuisance to a dealer than anything else.

It's funny really. The 90s was when mass market car making absolutely hit its stride - fuel injection, galvanizing and making the paint stick properly was a big step up from much 80s stuff where they'd be coming apart at 10 years old.

My two 90s cars both did nearly 20 years judging by the MoT database. Loads of 90s cars still about even considering the scrappage scheme.

Have the same problem now. My young 12YO, 224k estate is worth nothing to anyone but me!

Reply to
Scott M

I mentioned it because a youngish friend has just passed his driving test. Not a teenager, but in his '30s. And has been looking for a reasonably priced runabout. Most of the back street places that sell cheap cars seem to be full of clapped out tat. Unless you go up to a few thousand. And he doesn't feel himself capable of buying at auction.

Yes. This old Golf had survived well. With a bit of TLC could have been quite presentable too. And even if it only did a year as a runabout, surely a steal at 100 quid?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)