Transit diesel cylinder head gasket

Hi group,

After my original post of a transit overheating it then started using water so I assume I have a head gasket problem as I see no leak. Using 1 cup every

5-10 miles. I thought diesels were unbreakable.

I haven't done any work on a diesel engine before. It seems to be a push rod engine so that should make a gasket swap easier no fiddling about with timing belts.

Any advice on doing this for a transit diesel 2500cc 1994 no turbo.

105k on the clock.

Would anyone suggest having the head pressure tested before I replace it or it is just more common that it is the gasket failing.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

These ones usually are. Biggest weak point was always the timing belt.

It is a relativley easy job to do. There's nothing awkward that I can think off just now.

Provided it's not been cooked, then chances are it'll just be the head gasket. But it may be worth getting it skimmed, as that'll show up any critical cracks.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

The only awkward bits are getting to the bolts at the rear of the engine, as the bulkhead tends to get in the way a bit there.

Reply to
SimonJ