Wotsit worth?

Some young gobshite shunted my Laguna this morning on the M62. The Renault dealer definately says its a write off., although it still drives

...problem is it was a mint car but with 169000 miles. I had just got it through its MOT & it was valid until 31/01/2007. It recently had over £400 quid spent on new exhaust ,tyres brakes etc

Can anyone experienced with insurance payouts take a guess at what they will offer me , and could I mitigate the high mileage with all the recent bills? Also what do you reckon I'd get as a buy-it-back option?.

Basic Parkers website data :

Car 1999 T reg Renualt Laguna 1..9 dTI RT Average mileage: 60,000 miles Cost New ('99) £ 15705 Franchised Dealer £ 2080 Independent Dealer £ 1985 Private Good £ 1890 Private Poor £ 1200 Part Exchange £ 1665

Reply to
ToxOgrady

Very little - if you've had it a while, argue that it won't be possible to replace it with one anywhere near as well looked after, or in anything like as good condition, for bottom book money (if it is in good nick and well looked after). You should easily negotiate whatever price you'll get, plus the car, no probs, with very little mention of the value of the salvage (which they'll view as virtually nothing, meaning you can get it legal and carry on driving it).

Reply to
AstraVanMan

ToxOgrady ( snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Heh. That should shut the "French = crap, won't last two minutes" brigade up a bit...

One quarter of f*ck all. With a lot of hassle, you may get 'em to three quarters.

10% off the payment.

Rough guesstimate? Knock the one off the PX price.

Reply to
Adrian

Several years back my wife's car was written off after a prang- someone drove into her, no question whose fault. We dealt direct with his insurers- only informing ours as you are required to. They offered £250 (it was an old Panda), estimated repair was £1200!. We just held out, insisting they return us to the same state we were in before their client hit the car- ie cough up for the repair or buy us a car in similar condition (low mileage and generally good condition). I found another Panda on a forecourt for about £550 as a guide price and managed to get the insurer to cough up either £450 or 500 (I forget which). They offered us the salvage of the car FOC but we decided to put the cash toward a new car rather than patch up the old one.

Just keep insisting "return me to the state before the accident" and insist they keep up mobile until they settle.

Good luck.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Reay

My experience of this is that insurance companies typically pay out in the

70% region for written off cars. I'd pay helphire a tenner as they tend to at least get you what glass' say the car is worth (I know I say this everytime someone posts with a no fault claim, but I'm not connected to them at all, I just worked in an insurance assessors dealing with their claims and saw the difference in payouts / level of repair work done).
Reply to
Doki

I am sorting this very senario out at the moment; hence the posts relating to the Accent ( >, decided to replace the MR2 with a car more suited to our 3 person family )

Remember insurance companies are your friend until you make a claim!!

I got an extra £160 on top of the £595 I was offered by printing off adverts for similar cars from the auto trader website and sending them a sensible letter.

Probably could have got more with yet another letter, it's like any car deal, all about negotiating.

*Don't forget* to claim your uninsured losses direct off the other party; loss of excess, loss of remainder of the yearly premium, any time lost from work, any expenses relating to recovery and disposal of vehicle. The other party will no doubt prevaricate, as it happening to me, but at the end of the day if they are 100% liable they will have to pay ( assuming they are solvent or have insurance )
Reply to
Steptoe

Yep. Particularly important with anything unusual. I remember a payout on a G40 Polo going from £500 to £3k once they'd had a look at what they went for after much moaning by the owner...

Reply to
Doki

Doki ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I think you may have missed the difference in mileage in the original post.

This was a *1*70k '99 Gooner. I suspect Glass' would laugh at you by the time you adjusted the mileage appropriately...

Reply to
Adrian

Speak to a third party loss recovery company, basically they sorted me out a courtesy car, repaired/haggled about my car until I was happy, then when the paint finish on the repair was shit a few years later they sorted that too.

All was sorted in a morning with a 15min phone call.

All for £10, (I had to pay for the fuel in the courtesy car too, but as long as I sent it back full I got a refund on that).

Only thing is I can't for the life of me remember the name of the co.

Centrus, or something, if you are interested ill dig it out, their number started with a 01706 or 01704 or maybe 01744, that chap I delt with was called nick.

First rate.

Tom Burton

Reply to
Tom Burton

Found it on an old post

===================================

Use an uninsured loss recoveery company, i did they was brill organised my repairs, a couresy car, collection of my car from my home, and persued all costs for me.

the company recomended to me was Claim Link UK ( sounds like ambulance chasing lawyers but they arnt)

there Tele is 01706 231 991

IIRC they where bankrolled by a company called centrus,

Oh amd the bloke i spoke to was called nick.

If you pay £10 insuarance your covered even if the claim goes pear shaped, and they end up having to pay for your repairs once they agreed to take it on.

Nothing but praise for them!

======================================

Reply to
Tom Burton

I saw it, just assumed the OP would correct accordingly. I think the going rate is £2.50 per thousand after a hundred K (glass' doesn't go above 100k for mileage adjustment).

Reply to
Doki

Tuppence

Reply to
sQuick

My N reg Megane was written off a couple of months ago. Someone drove straight in the back of me at a roundabout. The car had 105k with a few rust spots around the rear arches and a scruffy interior. I think the book price was about £1400 tops (For a car in A1 condition). I found a few dealers selling similar cars around this price, as the garage said I shouldn't expect more than a grand.

Anyway, I was ready for a good haggle when the insurance contacted me, until they offered me £1600! I accepted this and ended up with a better car in the end! Result.

Don't forget also to keep the tax disc from your car when they take it away. Then send it off for a rebate.

Nick

Reply to
Nick