Transit Luton performance

Hi all,

Just a query about what performance I should expect from my Transit Luton

1994 twin rear axle and tail lift.

I'm not sure of the engine I think it is a 2.5 diesel non turbo. About

90,000 on the clock.

The transit seems to pull well enough around town up to about 50mph. But on the motorway I seem to top out at about 60mph even with the van empty. The van is new to me so is this what I can expect? Forget 70mph impossible. The van engine runs smooth and no sign of smoke from the exhaust.

Reply to
David Cawkwell

The message from "David Cawkwell" contains these words:

With a luton body and no turbo that's probably about your lot.

Reply to
Guy King

Sounds pretty similar to Lutons I've rented in the past. It's the only time I've had to use the crawler lane up hills on the M1. That's a bloody big parachute on the back!

Cheers,

Colin.

Reply to
Colin Stamp

The non turbo ones are s**te. Anything other than a slight breeze will=20 bring them to a crawl. My mate has one and has kicked himself for the=20 last two years for not spending an extra =A3200 to get a turbo'd one.

--=20 Conor

Opinions personal, facts suspect.

Reply to
Conor

In news:Drsed.100$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe2-gui.ntli.net, David Cawkwell decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

yup, sounds about ideal. I'd say it's running well.

Tranny Lutons have the aerodynamic qualities of a stately home, and are just as reticent to move quickly.

Example; New shape Tranny 430 Turbo Luton with TL, will possibly do 75. Mercedes Sprinter 3.0 Luton will probably do 95. But it's a Sprinter, so you've got to expect that.

Reply to
Pete M

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "David Cawkwell" saying something like:

Yup. That's it. It's like trying to push a bloody great sail against the wind. 60mph and that's all.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

impossible.

used to get 80 down hill with a wind behind me in an m reg luton tranny non turbo but up hill sloooooow

Reply to
George Spigot

impossible.

I used to drive one regulally for my old company - I think that was 1.8L? Performance was as you describe - terrible. Even down hill 70 MPH was hard work.

The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000Newsgroups

Alan

I don't think I've ever seen such close agreement in reply to a question. Truly, the Luton Transit is a slug.

Reply to
Guy King

impossible.

Normal- thats about as fast as they go.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Back in the dim and distant I had cause to drive a brand new one

60 miles a day for a week. The start of the week it wouldn't go faster than 60mph even on the flat, by the end the constant thrashing saw the top speed rise to a heady 70mph. Until you got to a hill of course.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong