transmission

how often should transmission oil be changed?

Reply to
blm333

AFAIK nobody ever changes it.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

The message from "Rob graham" contains these words:

I did mine, and I was glad I did because for some reason it was a water/oil emulsion. Looked like brown cream. I left it in a bottle for a month or so and it separated out into about 1/3 water, 2/3 oil.

Reply to
Guy King

Very few manufacturers now specify when gearbox oil should be changed. Vauxhall have for years generally viewed their gearboxes as sealed for life and having had one do 125,000miles and another 175,000 miles with no ill effects I would say they are pretty much right. I had a Peugeot 405 that died when the gearbox/diff started making mighty weird noises. I didn't investigate, the car wasn't worth a gearbox!

It had only done 125,000miles too, but something had gone. If I had replaced the gearbox oil in it, it may have lasted for a lot longer. Who knows? Peugeot had no specific interval for gearbox oil changes either. I would say if all is well, then leave it. It also won't hurt to change it! If you think it needs it at all, then pull the plug.

Reply to
gazzafield

But do they all have a plug?

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

Erm, no. Especially Vauxhalls. If you need to change it pull of an inner CV from the diff. That'll empty it!

Reply to
gazzafield

Yes. Certainly better than knocking a hole with ahammer and repairing it with hot melt glue.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

Honest John says, "It's also a good idea to have the transmission oil changed after the first year to get rid of any swarf which could later be ground up into tiny particles which eventually get into the bearings and accelerate wear."

That was under the FAQ's for running in a Petrol engine. From what other people are saying, it looks like it doesn't need changing, but if you're going to do it, then at the end of the first year sounds good.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Every 30k for me. Rover used to specify 20k for it's 200 and 400 series engines.

Reply to
Chris Street

Depends on the gearbox; auto/manual, make, engine size, year...

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis