Turned engine with spark plugs out

Hi, Had the spark plugs out my old renault. Later on I went to take off the front wheels, while the car was in gear, and turned the engine. Can I just put my new spark plugs in and everything will be fine? Or do I need to adjust anything.

Regards Mark.

Reply to
Mark

No, you dont. Will be fine.

Reply to
Dan

No harm done - just put them back in. What you've done is an accepted way of turning a FWD car's engine when setting tappets etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

If you do this with a new car that's fitted with electronic ignition you can do damage to the ignition module. The lack of a ~1mm spark gap to earth means the voltage has to build to very high levels before it can jump or track to earth. This creates a high back EMF in the coil which can blow the electronic module's output transistor. If it tracks the path it makes is a weakness from then on.

Peter Hill

Eh? Only if the ignition is on.....

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

As long as you didn't apply a pair of scissors to the cambelt, then all should be fine :-)

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

whenever I need to turn an engine over, I always remove the plugs it stops the compression building up and the engine turns over nice and easy :)

no [problems with it :)

Reply to
dojj