Twin SU Carburettors

Hi Can anyone tell me what car these came off?

Thanks in advance

BoB

Reply to
bob

Triumph Spitfire or MG Midget?

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

I don't agree there, if you look at the manifold it is angled, neither the MG or the Spitfire had angled engines.

I'd say a Dolomite 1750 if it wasn't for that large spring on top holding the lot together. This is a rare bit of kit for sure.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

True - I missed that in the pic...

Weren't that many slanted engines using Twin SU's were there?

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

That's what threw me, was the TR7 engine slant? I don't think ive ever had the privilege of looking under the hood of a 7

BoB

Reply to
bob

Strombergs and different manifold

Dolly Sprint doesn't look right either

Simon Atkinson

SAABs had slant 4 engines, more or less 1/2 of the Triumph V8. Perhaps they used SUs?

Reply to
Doki

I think (and may be wrong) that SAAB used Stromberg carbs and had a quite long intlet manifold with a seperate pipe to each cylinder.

Been looking at google images and that seems to confirm my fading memory.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Nope they are miles bigger than even the biggest fitted to these cars. I'd guess at a 6 cylinder Jag or something.

Reply to
Doug

The Volvo P1800 had SUs on a slant. I know a guy with one but don't know it well enough to say if these match.

Reply to
Doug

Hi, Can't say I recognise this setup, and I've been in the trade 40 years!!, all I can think is that it may be a conversion kit for something.

Reply to
Gaz

The inlet manifold has 4 ports, I just cant think of a 4 cylinder engine that would need carbs this big, biggest SUs ive ever seen.

BoB

Reply to
bob

The images on the P1800 site look very similar, but there are a few differences that indicate they aren't these either. They are about the closest I've found though, only the early one's (1963 ish) had the water tube along the top, later one's lost that tube, then went to Stromberg's, then eventually to injection.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

As I recollect the carbs themselves were made in differening ranges of sizes (throat diameter), with needles, jetting, damping etc. adjusted for the differing cars to which they were fitted.

I think the clue might be in the manifold to which they are attached. I don't think it looks like the one from my old Mark 1 spit and they look a bit big for the Herald Coupe I used to have, if that eliminates a couple of possibilities ......

Reply to
Richard Murphy

Rover 2000TC, of around 1969 vintage. Dave

Reply to
Dave Spam

I have since been told from someone from another group that you can tell what car they came from by the ID tag on the float bowl. This reads AUD533F, anyone know a web site I can punch this number in?

BoB

Reply to
bob

I think I have found a site, seems they are from a 1971-1979 2000 TC P6. the AUD 533F is the front and there is a AUD533R at the rear. here is the site if you are interested

Thanks to all who helped

BoB

Reply to
bob

Front carb from a 1971-73 rover 2000 p6 tc

Burlen's site

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Wow we must have been there at the same time!

AJH

Reply to
sylva

Only thing is, it seems you can read better than me, 1973, not 79

Reply to
bob