Two Questions

Firstly, my car (Suzuki X90) has just reached 60,000, well 60,040 to be precise and is booked for a cambelt change next Saturday. Can I drive the car without worry of it snapping or whatever? I intened to do perhaps 100 miles? I know its a rare car. 1.6 engine, same as a Vitara apparently.

Secondly, there is a clunking noise coming from the back when I drive, this seems to have got worse recently, however did go away for a bit before that. Its like a high toned creek, with a bit of a clunk. Any ideas to what this could be?

Thanks.

Neil

Reply to
Dr. Compynei

There's no magic formula that says that a belt will snap if it's a few miles over the manufacturer's recommendations. It's just that the risk gets greater. No doubt they have snapped even within the recomendation. I expect you'll be alright even for 1,000 miles or many more, but who knows?

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

You could do 100k and have no problem, on the other hand it could snap at

30k. As a matter of course I have mine changed 1/3 before the recomended time. ie 70k change at 50 - 60, but that just me being suspicious.

Reply to
Hirsty's

First: Probably - most manufacturers build in a certain safety margin. I said most....... Second: Yes, it is a prompt that you have an expensive dealer service due.....

An X90 - a lovely car. I assume you are a hairdresser?

Artie

Reply to
Arturo Ui

To add to your worry, one of the ladies at work had a Tigra for years then decided to have a service, not long after the timing belt snapped (recently changed) that was the beginning of her car becoming an expensive knacker.

Reply to
Avanti

The Great Rubber Toothed Belt God, That's who!

HTH

Reply to
Peat

Very true.

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

Insurance Group 6, for a pretty nippy car. Okay, so at 17 fully comp is ~£2000 but its still a fun car.

Dr. Compynei