Tyre Pressure Gauges?

Any suggestions on an accurate one please?

TIA, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

look for one that has a calibration certificate (if this exists with commercially available gauges) or specifies accuracy.............but then again what and how do you check it against. Typically....

Lez Pawl

A few years ago I had access to calibrated pressure testing equipment.I cobbled together a rig for testing tyre gauges, then purchased several. I also had a couple of old ones in the garage, and borrowed some.

None of those I tested read incorrectly by massive amounts, but cost was not apparently a factor in their accuracy.

The best one was within around 2% over the range of around 5 to 40psi, with perfect repeatability. It was the cheapest digital one that Halfords sold at the time! It didn't even have a replaceable battery.

I'm still using it; not sure what I will do when the battery eventually fails :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I bought a digital one from Wilkinsons for about £10. It agreed with the mechanical gauge/inflator we had in the hospital workshop for blowing up wheelchair tyres so I assume it is reasonably accurate.

Reply to
malc

Just one of a very wide range.

Reply to
Steve Knight

For what it's worth, that particular fared very badly in the Auto Express tests..

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

The message from "Mathew Newton" contains these words:

Should do. I doubt it'll have spare bulbs on board, but any car shop or garage will sell you the right sort.

Reply to
Guy King

Paul Hutchings wrote in news:paul-185510.15263319112006 @east.Usenet-News.net:

I've always used one of those old ones you press on and the thing pokes out in the middle with a scale on the side. Seem to be fairly accurate to me, but I've never researched it.

Reply to
Tunku

I used to also until I read this:

Scroll down to the bottom for the tyre gauge specific part.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com

"Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com" wrote in news:45618263$0$8713$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net:

An interesting read.

Reply to
Tunku

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I think I'm going to get one of the Longacre gauges from Demon Tweeks - they don't seem overly expensive and lots of the race/rally/motorsport stores seem to carry them which suggests they are quite good (the info on the Longacre website also suggests they do decent kit).

cheers, Paul

Reply to
Paul Hutchings

Mind your quoting please.... I never said that!

(and certainly not in this thread!)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

The message from "Mathew Newton" contains these words:

Oooh, I wonder how that happened. Zimacs has never done that before.

Reply to
Guy King