Tyre Pressures

hi I have fitted a set of fox alloy wheels to my ford escort van the tyres fitted are 195 x 60 x 15 can anybody tell me the correct pressures to put in at the moment I am running them at 32psi all round as anything less on the front the steering seems to wander advice appreciated ivor

Reply to
ivor bigun

The message from "ivor bigun" contains these words:

Isn't 195 rather wide for an Escort van? I'd suspect that you've upset the steering dynamics rather a bit.

Reply to
Guy King

Reply to
ivor bigun

kwikfit man say yes - biiiig difference. 40 psi BTW - we always pump them up to 40 then let the customer decide onthe korrect preshure

Reply to
Mad Sad Dad

The message from "ivor bigun" contains these words:

Quiet possibly. You have got the offset right, haven't you?

Reply to
Guy King

Reply to
ivor bigun

The message from "ivor bigun" contains these words:

Did /he/ get it right? Perhaps he's selling 'em 'cos he found it upset the steering.

Reply to
Guy King

Yes, I know kwikfit do this - too b****y lazy to find the right pressures, much easier to let the customer risk a booking, tyres worn too early (great for sales), or an accident caused by over-inflation.

The other one they do is the free brake check- unasked for, often without the customers knoweldge. Then they treat the rear wheel bearings in the same way as they do tyre pressures i.e. do them up too tight and let the customer find out. By taking it back to be fixed when the wheel bearing gives out, if they survive that is.

great for sales.

Reply to
R. Murphy

So the max pressure of 36psi that is written on sidewall don't apply to KwikFit then?

Reply to
Fred

The message from "Fred" contains these words:

Quite possibly not. As I understand it, the "Max pressure" is to comply with US regulations and may not be the safe max for that tyre.

Reply to
Guy King

Most car tyres run between 26-34 psi, I cant think of any car tyres ( not including RF or C type) that run above 36 psi.

Reply to
Fred

The message from "Fred" contains these words:

Though that's nothing to do with the maximum safe pressure for that carcase.

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Fred writes

The handbook for my Focus quotes 46 psi for the rears when fully laden although I tend to find that 40 psi is adequate.

Reply to
Paul Giverin