2001 Escort Estate - correct tyre pressures?

Hi.

I have a 2001 Ford Escort Finesse Estate fitted with Pirelli P6000 195/50 R15 V-rated tyres.

All figures are for normal use as I only ever carry a maximum of two passengers.

The handbook and the Ford dealer say: Front: 2.4 bar (35psi) Rear: 2.2 bar (32 psi).

The tyre dealer (KwikFit) says 2.2 bar (32 psi) all round.

Autodata says: Front: 2 bar (29psi) Rear: 1.8 bar (26 psi).

The Pirelli website has no information so I have emailed them.

The handbook pressures seem very high to me. I have been running them at the Autodata pressures and have not noticed any problems.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Martin.

Reply to
Martin

Yes. Start from any set of recommended pressures. Experiment by raising or lowering the pressures on each axle by 1psi until you arrive at a setting that suits the roadholding of the car, and doesn't give uneven tyre wear. Changing the make or type of tyre can alter those figures BTW. Works for me. I usually start off at 30psi. If you don't want the hassle, just keep an eye on the tyres. If they show more wear in the middle, reduce the pressures slightly. More on the outside, increase the pressure. IME tyre pressures are not that critical within a few pound of nominal, but can make quite a difference to the way a car handles. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Are these tyres standard fit or special low profile? The handbook might not assume a special tyre fit. Lower profile tyres must in general have higher pressures, otherwise you could damage the rims.

Reply to
Johannes

The tyres seem to be wearing evenly so far after 5,000 miles and handling seems OK to me (for an Escort Estate that is...), so I'll probably leave them at the lower pressures.

Pirelli simply said go with the handbook/manufacturer figure, i.e. 6 psi per tyre over the current pressures. Hmmm.

Thanks for your help.

Martin.

Reply to
Martin

They are one of the standard fitment sizes on this end of the model range Finesse, i.e. the handbook lists the tyre size 195/50 R15 specifically.

I don't recall the make of tyres originally fitted (possibly Michelin), but they were certainly the same dimensions as these.

I just have this vision of Noddy's car with the big balloon tyres if I up all the pressures by 6 psi...

Thanks for your thoughts, Martin.

Reply to
Martin