Tyre repair kit

There was a thread in here a while ago about tubeless tyre repair kits. Someone posted a link to one which was IIRC about £25 and available in UK. I've googled for it and all the kits I can find are either American, or only for temporary use, or about £60. Can anyone help with a link please?

TIA

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Ultraseal ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Interesting, but not what I was looking for. Incidentally, the ultraseal site contains this gem, amongst others.-

"The problem concerns the simple misfortune of getting a puncture, which affects tens of thousands of drivers in the region every year.If the partly-worn tyre is then replaced with a new one, the entire transmission system can be wrecked as a result, which could cost an incredible £5000 to repair.In the case of older vehicles, which are most at risk, the repairs could be more than the vehicle is actually worth.In extreme instances this means that a vehicle could become a financial write-off, simply because of a puncture.

This has come to light following a number of cases in which the common cause of mega-expensive transmission failures has been the recent replacement of a single tyre.Unless all four are replaced at the same time, there is a slight difference in their respective tread depths.Even though the difference in tread depth between a single new tyre and the other three is only a few millimetres, it means there is a critical difference between the diameters of the wheels, causing them to turn at fractionally-different speeds. This immediately puts a strain on all rotating parts in the transmission system, which can be even more pronounced when cornering.Eventually the system shatters and the vehicle grinds to a noisy halt."

Good, no? You'd think by now someone would invent something to allow the wheels to turn at different rates without that happening.

Thanks anyway.

Steve

Reply to
shazzbat

Good grief! That, "Unless all four are replaced at the same time", should be printed in capital and in red!

Reply to
Lin Chung

IIRC this was actually based on a true story - I read it elsewhere i'm=20 sure... think it was a Volvo or BMW 4x4 it happened to from my faint=20 recollection, and there was a recall and / or change in design spec to=20 the diff on it.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Why?

None of it should be written anywhere at all, except in a work of fiction.

Reply to
David Taylor

I've heard that LSD diffs can wear out if different sized tyres are used but I'd doubt that it would have much effect on an open diff.

Reply to
adder1969

Alarmed that a few mm of rubber shaven off on a large wheel could be so disastrous, I looked further into this and dug up the article:

Further reading revealed that in fact thiswas a blip in the evolutionary development of a specific Volvo 4x4 model.It was a mechanical fault. Volvo have since rectified the design.

Reply to
Lin Chung

Sorry, can't help with a link, but I bought a kit in France last year, after a puncture, and seeing how the garage tyre fitter repaired it. It contains several lengths of sticky shoelace, one of which is pushed in a loop through the cover, given a quarter turn and the loop pulled out. The garage didn't even charge me for the repair, but said it was permanent. I have since repaired a couple more punctures myself, with no problems since. The kit cost about 15 Euros and replacement shoelaces are also available.

Reply to
Brian

It's not a DIY job, as you live in Somerset come in and I will fix it for free.

Reply to
Fred

I've heard that LSD diffs can wear out if different sized tyres are used but I'd doubt that it would have much effect on an open diff.

I always assumed that LSD just made the world a little more colourful.

Reply to
Brian