Tyre repair or replace ?

Hi,

I have a nail in my front tyre and although it is close to the edge of the tyre (approx 1 inch) it is still on the top part of the tyre.

However two different mechanics told me that the tyre could not be repaired and had to be changed. They said there was a law in uk that forbid such repairs.

I know this is the case when the hole is ont the side but in this case I wonder if they are saying the truth or if they just try to sell me a new tyre.

I asked around me and nobody is absolutely sure.

Two persons in my family told me they were suspicious about this but I am french and things might be different in France and UK.

To have a better view of the situation below is a schematic drawing:

Nail | | V ------ / \ | | | |

What do you think ?

Regards,

Ant

Reply to
z0mb1e_fr

I think it's correct, that if you have a nail in that part of the tyre close to the edge you have to replace it.I went to 3 different places when I had a puncture close to the edge of the tyre and was told the same thing.

Reply to
Mike

I think it can only be repaired if it is within the central third.

Andy Pandy To e-mail, address hopefully, self-explanatory !

Reply to
Andy Pandy

Sounds about right. The outer edges flex in a complex manner and I imagine a plug would either weaken the structure to an unacceptable degree, or be prone to working loose, causing a catastrophic blow-out.

The likelihood of a puncture being unrepairable is generally directly proportional to the cost of a new tyre and the remaining life of the old one.

Reply to
John Laird

Punctures in the flexible edge are not usually repaired because of the high risk of failure. However, depending on the tyre size and type, plenty of places will put a tube in for you.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

yesterday(wifes mondeo) ,nail was just 30mm from edge,have repaired it but its going to spare(spare only had 3 mm anyway)and have put a new one on

Reply to
Mindwipe

Not round Northampton they won't, not in a "tubeless tyre". I had to buy a new tyre when I was 3 weeks from fitting a complete different sized set....

I'm not sure that there is a specific "Law" about this stuff. As far as I can tell it's just the company's interpretation of the "Must be suitable for the use to which it's put, and must be used according to the manufacturers recommendation" type thing. Didn't stop Kwikfart putting two tyres on my (female) friends MX5 the wrong way round. If anyone knows different, please let us know.

Certainly, there are lots of recommendations as to best practise, but certainly round here all the little tyre shops will put a tube in . I even saw a wide 50 series have a tube put in recently, the fitter put in a much smaller diameter tube (13 inch narrow tyre type) into the 16 inch 50 series !! and I know that is not recommended.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I do recall a stone puncturing my car tyre in France. The hole was in the centre of the thread but the tyre place told me that as the 'canvass' had been damaged they would not repair it. So I ended up having to buy a new tyre.

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

Sounds like you have no knowledge of how tyres are made (I remember crossply tyres) so lets think about this I don't think you said where these mechanics work was it a tyre fitting outfit or an ordinary garage. If the faults lies where you suggest, by law it would need replacing no garage in their right minds would say anything other than this, you haven't said whether this is a tubeless tyre or Tubed so I'll assume it to be tubeless.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Duncan Wood

Hi,

The first was a tyre fitting shop, the second an ordinary garage.

However this is old history now, I bought a new tyre. I do not know what are tubeless:tubed tyres, all I know my tyres are Pirelli

2000 165/65 RT T 77 and T76.

Antonin

"Bill" a écrit dans le message de news:y23rb.332$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep1-gui.server.ntli.net...

Reply to
AntoninPavil

phew - glad we went through all that to come to this - methinks.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Well,

Given that most of the answers I got were that I had to buy a new tyre, that's what I did. Besides I did not like the idea of staying with a punctured tyre for too long.

Thanks anyway to all those who answered, at least I don't feal like I was had.

Antonin

"Bill" a écrit dans le message de news:GK3sb.6268$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfep2-win.server.ntli.net...

Reply to
AntoninPavil