emergency tyre repair

I'm in france with survival-only french so was not able to fully understand the implications of a quick burst tyre repair I've just had carried out to get me back to base. This particular garage was unable to find a tool to fit these particular wheel bolts and I couldn't find one in my car kit either so he squirted a can of gunk into the tyre and when that didn't work used an odd looking flexible stick of something which was brutally forced into the puncture and seems to be working. (as will be evident, I haven't a lot of experience with this sort of thing!). How long is a fix like this usually good for before I can next get to a properly equipped garage and replace the wheel? The pressure seemed to be fine after 20 miles or so - what are the chances of another 20miles? Is time itself a factor whether driving on it or not?

what have others' experiences been? thanks

Reply to
curiosity

Should be OK to get you home. Try to keep speeds down if poss.

Chrsi

Reply to
Chris Whelan

AFAIK these things are not legal repairs in the UK although they will almost certainly last the life of the tyre.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

It'll be legal until you get off the ferry at Dover AFAIK. They should last a fair long time without problems.

Reply to
Chris Street

did this odd looking stick have a passing resemblance to a very thin hairy turd? And was it inserted using something akin to a large darning needle, with a handle? If so, then its the same stuff we use at work, we have no problems with these repair outlasting the tyre, and can be used at normal speeds.

Reply to
SimonJ

hairy?.. well, yes I'd say it was; very thin turd?...hmm, now you mention it. And definitely a darning needle sort of thing with a handle. Many thanks for the positive prognosis.

- cheers also for all optimistic feedback on this.

Reply to
curiosity

That sounds like the "T-Handle Radial Repair Kit" made by Carquest that I've got. They do work.

Reply to
Grizzly

I had a puncture once & the car places wouldn't repair the puncture 'cos they said that the tyre wasn't legal (on tread depth, and would I like to buy a new one.) Well technicallly the tyre was legal and they were charging way over the odds for the replacement tyre which they didn't have in stock anyway so I drove the car around for a few weeks with a cut off plastic golf tee stuck into the hole.

Reply to
adder1969

many thanks for replies on this - as it turns out the rear tyres were evidently close to needing replacement so decided to get those two replaced. I didn't really know what to buy other than what the main dealer saw fit to supply - if nothing else to circumvent a language problem (still in France for a few weeks).

What are the factors in choosing a tyre? Any problem buying from kwik-fit or the like? Fairly soon, I'll need to replace the front pair and would like to have a vague sense of knowing what I'm doing.

many thanks

corrections/alternatives invited

Reply to
curiosity

- sorry - please ignore sig

Reply to
curiosity

It might be best to post the details of the vehicle...?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It's a passat estate tdi 4 motion

Reply to
curiosity

Might be worth asking on uk.rec.cars.vw.watercooled?

HTH

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I'll try that - meanwhile if anyone other poster here has any insights on kwik-fit vs main dealers for tyres generally I'd be interested. Also what are the parameters - what makes one tyre significantly better/worse/cheaper/more expensive than another?

it's a general query - my partner needs to replace her tyres soon.

Reply to
curiosity

insights on

Dealers probably will take your car to a proper tyre dealer anyway. If you've got expensive alloys then you might want to be careful about where you take it. In general you get what you pay for. You have to determine what factors are important to you - dry weather roadholding, wet weather, snow, noise, comfort etc.

Reply to
adder1969

FWIW, my experiences with Kwik-Fit have been terrible! Rip off prices, wheel trims broken, valves fitted that are so short you couldn't get the air hose on them, pressures left so low that the tyre was illegally soft - I'll never go near them! Others may have had a better time.

I use my local Rapid Fit (Part of the Ford dealership, but good for all makes). Their prices are competitive and the service is OK.

Main dealers seldom fit tyres themselves. If you ask them to do it, you will just pay over the odds for them to take your car elsewhere.

I've always found Michelin to be the best, but at a cost. I generally use Continental, Goodyear or similar based on what deal I can get.

When I was younger, less wise and somewhat impoverished I tried a set of budget tyres, (Courier, the budget brand of Pirelli I was told.) They were awful! I replaced them long before they were worn out. IMHO, you are better off with a well-known make that is almost worn out than a new tyre of a dubious make. YMMV!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

as an old fart driving a boring car I would probably go for miniumum noise. Any advice on how to reliably establish the best tyre for the job?

Reply to
curiosity

if they operate in west sussex I'll check them out

Yes, that's probably what happened to me yesterday.

many thanks

Reply to
curiosity

sounds like he "plugged" the tire

very very common on tractor trailer tires where it's a royal pain to pull the wheels.

on a BIG (18 wheel) truck it's considered a "permanent" fix

should do f> I'm in france with survival-only french so was not able to fully understand the

Reply to
Anonymouse