Tyre stepping/sawtoothing

Over the past couple of months I've been trying to diagnose a noisy rear wheel bearing. The noise was quite loud but I couldn't detect any wear and my local indy garage couldn't either. They suggested it might be worth swapping the tyres round and although sceptical, I eventually did.

The result was instant. Noisy rear end is now noisy front end and if anything, noisier than before. Now that its just in front of me, I'm able to pinpoint the noise to the left front (formerly fitted to left rear). After a bit of googling and looking at the tyre carefully, I can see I've got stepping/sawtoothing on the inside edge.

So a couple of questions. Obviously, something is amiss with the rear wheel alignment but the last time I had new tyres fitted, I had an alignment check which was fine. Would a four wheel alignment check be better? I didn't think anything on the rear was adjustable.

Secondly, now this stepped tyre is on the front, what is the chance of the stepped area wearing down normally and the noise reducing. The tyre is only half worn with about 8-10k miles remaining and I don't want to throw it away but it is incredibly noisy.

Car is Focus 2.0 TDCi with Uniroyal Rainsport 2 all round. 120k miles on the clock.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

VW Golf V and related cars do this all the time, and alignment might help, but never cures it. I've found different tyres behave differently.

I doubt the odd pattern will disappear on the front.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I have exactly the same on BOTH rear tyres on my xtrail, it's the tyre, as nothing's changed other than the brand.

Tim. .

Reply to
Tim..

Mk Mk6 did it (as expected, as it was a facelift Mk5) - my VW dealer spent a fortune on trying to fix it under warranty - but never really properly sorted it.

Reply to
SteveH

I did see an entry on a Hyundai forum where the poster said that a bearing like noise could be due to delamination of the layers under the tread. And that it is very difficult to diagnose by inspection. The poster has demonstrated technical competence in other matters.

I recently had symptoms as you describe which moved when I swapped tyres around. The tyres had done 30k, still had about 3mm on and had no sign of sawtoothing. I know tyres get noisier as they age (and Michelin Energy seem to age particularly badly) and one of the pair seemed more noticeable... fact or hypochondria?

Reply to
DavidR

I had a Nissan Cherry that had done that, but the tyre gets quite hot.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In message , DavidR writes

Nope, the tyre in question is visibly stepped on the inner tyre blocks.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

In message , Tim.. writes

Thanks guys, looks like I'll have to try and live with it and then replace with a different brand. shame really as the Rainsports are great tyres IME.

I might try putting the stepped tyre back onto the rear where the noise didn't bother me as much but thinking about it, it will wear out quicker on the front and I can replace it sooner.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Belt Sander?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

They never can, completely. My leon has had an alignment check/adjust, and it is fine. It sawtoothed the winter tyres, and the cheapy directionals is came with, but Conti SC3 seem to be OK.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

In message , Duncan Wood writes

Y'know, I'm glad you mentioned that because it had crossed my mind but I was too embarrassed to suggest it ;)

Reply to
Paul Giverin

swap them left to right to even the wear.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I'd have to get them swapped on the rims as they are directional treads.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Could be worth it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Paul Giverin" wrote

Yes, I know what you mean. But does stepping necessarily cause the noise? Or is there other cause?

Reply to
DavidR

In message , DavidR writes

Yes, stepping does cause loud tyre noise. Its a well known phenomena.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Very loud drumming!!!!!!

Tim..