Tyre (tire) dressing - best way to remove?

Just bought a caravan and some over enthusiastic soul seems to have put on some tyre dressing about half an inch thick.
Kind of like how you grease up heavy machinery before storing.
I assume that you could use degreaser or similar to remove it but that might not do the rubber much good.
Any recommendations for a gentle way to remove this?
Serious problem; touch the tyres and it looks as though you've been messing with sump plugs.
Cheers
Dave R

Hmm, if it's been put on that thickly it's probably to conceal cracking in the sidewalls. Not necessarily dangerous but indicative of the tyres being old. Check the year of manufacture on the sidewalls. They may well be long overdue for changing.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On Thu, 09 Feb 2017 18:05:24 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

2016 van brand new off the dealer's forecourt.
Was on display last year.
So I reckon it was some over enthusiastic noob and a first attempt at tyre dressing.
I hope.
Cheers
Dave R

On 2/9/2017 6:57 PM, David wrote:

If it is some sort of mineral oil grease, it will dissolve in white spirit (or petrol, paraffin, or diesel). Small amounts of that will not damage tyres. If you submerged tyres in these liquids, they will gradually absorb into the structure causing the rubber to swell and become weaker, but you will be able to see and feel the effect.
Be really anti-social and put it through a car wash that has the wheel scrubbers?
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
On Thu, 09 Feb 2017 20:11:36 +0000, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Never really tried to take a caravan through a car wash.
Not sure all the roof furniture would be up to it.
Could try the Polish version, of course, where the wheel scrubbers get upset if you call them that. ;-)
[As in "They look like a pair of wheel scrubbers."]
Cheers
Dave R

David wrote:
[...]

The ones around here (who do a great job BTW) would not understand. There standard response to any question is 'eight pown'!
More seriously, a car cleaners would be the best place to ask IMHO.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

My apologies, I thought it was a transit-type van, not a caravan. That'll teach me to read posts properly.
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
On 09/02/2017 17:49, David wrote:

Brand new from a dealer? Get them to deal with it :-)
On Thu, 09 Feb 2017 20:38:20 +0000, Clive George wrote:

Driving it to Nottingham and back from Suffolk (say 80 litres of diesel plus a day out of my life plus the M1 past Derby twice) suggests that a DIY solution might be better.
Cheers
Dave R

David wrote:

How did you get it in the first place? Did you collect it, or did the supplier deliver it to you? Why did you not notice the problem before accepting it?
Whatever, contact the supplier and ask their advice. They may be able to send somebody to clean it off for you.
--
Graham J

On 10/02/2017 10:34, Graham J wrote:

or tell you what it is, then a suitable cleaner can be found.
On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 10:40:47 +0000, MrCheerful wrote:

Yes, that is likely to be my next action. However it may take a bit to find out exactly who did this.
Cheers
Dave R

On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 10:34:03 +0000, Graham J wrote:

Strangely, amongst all the 101 other things to look at and learn, I didn't spend any time rubbing my hands on the tyre side wall.
I only noticed the problem when I tried to fit the wheel lock when I had brought the caravan home.
Cheers
Dave R

On 09/02/2017 17:49, David wrote:

Centrifugal force - as on a wheel balancing machine?
--
Cheers,
Roger