Tyres - Any recommendations?

In message , Brian writes

I agree that cheap doesn't always mean bad and that some cheap tyres may do as well as major brand tyres but its unusual to get a major brand tyre which is dangerous. The same can't be said for cheaper brands.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

:-)

Have you driven cars with and without PS?

Without, you tend to avoid the tighter parking spaces; it's too much effort. You also tend subconsciously to keep the vehicle moving whilst turning the steering wheel; this reduces the amount of scrub significantly. I often see drivers swinging the steering wheel from lock to lock without the vehicle moving at all.

I'm old enough to remember when PS on everyday cars was a novelty. The reaction of some Luddites back then was that it would increase tyre wear. Independent tests done at the time confirmed that indeed it did.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It's not that long ago, is it? [hopes]

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Yes. I own both. Have you tried to park a GSA? Want to check my biceps?

You said "if you often NEED to go from lock to lock". It has the same effect whoever is putting the effort in.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

I see your GSA, and raise you a Pinto-engined Transit :-)

Yebbut if you do it with a non-PS car, you tend to keep moving to reduce the effort. This also reduces the scrub. If you watch people parking older cars, you can often predict that they have no PS just by their manner of driving.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Point taken.

Reply to
Brian

To be honest, 25k is pretty reasonable for the front tyres on a front wheel drive car. They are taking all the drive and braking forces. The rears by comparison, normally last for ever, and usually start breaking up before the tread wears out.

Reply to
Brian

Dear Beloved Brethren, Calvary greetings to you all in the name of Our Lord Jesus Christ. I am Pastor Isaac Orits Edah, 36 years old from Lagos Nigeria,married to Evangelist Faith Abosede, We are bless presently with Two son's Isaac and Elijah, Isaac is 6 years and 6 month and Elijah is 2 years and 7 months Old, we are having the intention in fulfilling God's will for our life in planting a new church for christ in the lagos metropoly and we will be glad to receiving Financial and Material assistance from any Acts29network members. I am Pastor Isaac Orits Edah, 36 years old married to Evangelist Faith Abosede, We are bless presently with Two son's Isaac and Elijah, Isaac is 6 years and 6 month and Elijah is 2 years and 7 months Old, we are having the intention in fulfilling God's will for our life in planting a new church for christ in the lagos metropoly and we will be glad to receiving Spiritual,Financial and Material assistance from any members of this group.if you are willing to contact me on either questions about myself and my calling or willing to assist me on the above subject, please feel free to contact me on;

234-8028966529 or E-mail; snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com. Yours in Christ, Pastor Isaac Orits Edah

On Oct 11, 12:25 am, "Fred" wrote:

Reply to
Pastororits

Yes well, rear tyres don't wear out very much do they? I did change the rears on my Pug estate recently but then I do carry large loads in it, the ones on my BX lasted for years.

Reply to
malc

Erm, that'll be an original Beetle, I reckon.

So, do you want to think about where the engine is and which wheels are driven before amending your post?

Reply to
SteveH

Why would I trust Which? to tell me which tyres to buy? - I doubt they give the car a real test of handling etc. - their decision will be based on cost and life more than anything else.

I've had some English translations of Auto-Bild tests which consistently put cheap no-name tyres down at the bottom of their lists, mainly because they are downright dangerous.

Reply to
SteveH

So you search out reports which back up your own theories then. If it's expensive, it must be good. Fine, it's your money, spend as much of it as you want. As long as none of it comes from me that is. No-one is ever saying that ALL cheap tyres are good, or even safe, but there are cheaper tyres which do perform just as well as the major brands. I would certainly trust the tests done by Which? (they do also work closely with their European counterparts) more than the opinion of one louly spoken individual on a newsgroup.

Reply to
Brian

Which? are fine if you want to know which is the most efficient washing machine - but when it comes to cars, I wouldn't trust them in the slightest.

Auto-Bild conduct probably the most in-depth and accurate tyre tests in the world, so I'll happily take their reviews into account, especially when they pretty much mirror my experiences.

Reply to
SteveH

If you've ever had anything todo with washing machines you'd know they don't know anything about them either, last time I read a which report on washing machines the same machine with a different badge (& the same price) came top & bottom. It's not as if they didn't even look the same in the photos.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

CBA. Think! Good god man, that involves effort and violates all of my most dearly held principles.

Why should it be an original Beetle? The new model is a few years old now.

Reply to
malc

Because 'Michelin X' usually refers to tyres like this:

SteveH

Is he guessing by the tyre stated? IIRC Michelin X is an old trye, superceded by the ZX and then XZX? They were common on VWs a long time ago, and I last remember them in the 70s....

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I think the fact that to develop a good amount of power, a diesel has to create a lot of torque, and the engine usually being heavier, will wear the tyres more. My Skoda Fabia vRS needed a replacement tyre due to a sidewall cut at about 20k, and the other one was well worn, so I put the spare and a new one on. I'd expect about the mileage you got from the Conti sport contact 2 tyres on it.

TBH, I usually stick with the OE tyres, but I've found Yokohama good, if a bit quick to wear, but grip is more important than tyre life to me.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

What tyres do you use?

What Would Jesus Drive?

Reply to
PC Paul

If you thought "professional tyre testers" would be less subjective, then have a look at

At least
does averaging over a largenumber of reports.

John

Reply to
John Henderson