Tyres - Any recommendations?

Chris Bartram ( snipped-for-privacy@delete.me.piglet-net.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes, and no.

Xs remained OEM fitment long after the ZX and XZX had all but disappeared. All three are still available today, albeit in the classic range.

Ain't no doubt that an X on a Beetle, though, is going to be a proper Beetle. Gawd knows how you'd get 85k out the rear tyres on one of them, unless you stopped dead and picked it up by the rear bumper at the first sign of a slight bend.

Reply to
Adrian

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Looks more like a ZX to me, but...

THAT's an X.

Adrian

Something with runflat tyres cos he had a tendency to pick up the odd nail.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Why do you know all this shit?

Reply to
R D S

Don't forget your anorak on the way out....

Reply to
SteveH

Fuck you!

I've just sprayed my monitor!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

R D S ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Because I've bought a set of four brand new ZXs this year, and have a few other cars on Xs...

Reply to
Adrian

What, that rebodied Golf thing?

Actually, I thought the reference to Michelin X's would suggest "old car". Sorry if it wasn't clear.

The tyres at the back of the DS last very well too, but since they don't both need to be there, it's not surprising ...

Ian

Reply to
Ian

They are still available in some sizes - I bought a pair for the 2CV last year. For sixty quid each, including brand new wheel! They're good for old Citroens which (a) roll a lot (b) have suspension geometry which keeps the wheel parallel to the car as it rolls and therefore (c) really benefit from nice soft side walls.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Conti Premium Contacts lasted about 22k on the front of my 206 2.0 HDi. BF Goodrich Profiler 2's last about 32k with similar levels of grip and handling. Also about ukp20 each cheaper, and I'm on my third set.

Reply to
Doctor D

I'm not a tyre anorak. Michelin X means absolutely nothing to me and I am happy for it to stay that way.

Reply to
malc

Perhaps a thread on tyres isn't for you, then?

That's a shame. The X was the first radial tyre, brought out for Citroen front wheel drive cars, and was therefore one of the most important car engineering developments of the twentieth century. Other model names are mere marketing, but the Michelin X is history.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

I'm not looking

Reply to
malc

Interesting. One so rarely see "wilful ignorance" - literally - these days.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Will you admit you have the IQ of a slug?

Reply to
Fred

My feedback rating puts me in the top 10% of all sellers, which is the highest and best score of any seller on eBay.

I answer dozens of emails about tyres every day.

Well as a lot of my buyers don't leave feedback untill after they have used the tyres, again you are talking out of your arse. Also 30% of my sales are to repeat customers.

Reply to
Fred

Fred

Yes, and? - it doesn't mean you give good advice. Quite the opposite, given the evidence on this group.

As I say - many people wouldn't notice they had no-grip teflon cheapies until they needed the grip of a decent tyre. At which point it's too late anyway.

For 99% of the time, a teflon cheapie may be fine, but that 1% of the time, as you lock up and slide into the back of another car / pedestrian, you'd wish you hadn't been such a tightwad.

Reply to
SteveH

I feel sorry for your dog!

Reply to
Fred

I feel quite sorry for your neighbours cat too.

Reply to
Fred