Special grease(s)

Peugeot (for 306 1.9 diesel) recommend a special grease for gear change linkages - Esso Norva 275 grease.

Does anybody know what is 'special' about this grease and is there an equivalent grease from another manufacturer?

Tia,

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

it is a high temperature mineral grease, any bearing grease should do.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

================================== You're dead right! It shows up (Google) as 'Norva HT' but didn't appear when I googled for 'Esso Norva 275'.

It's obviously not very special and it's also a bit surprising that a high temperature grease should be recommended for gear linkages unless they're at risk from exhaust heat.

Thanks,

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Ding! That's the reason, it affects all 306's because the exhaust and the bottom of the gear lever are quite close together. My brother had a 306 D-Turbo that suffered from it when he bought it, after we gained access and lubed the base of the gear lever and rest of the linkage you could actually change gear without bracing yourself against the seat first! He thought this was normal for a diesel.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

================================== Mine's not quite that bad yet but it is uncomfortable. It seems that there's a strong case for good old-fashioned technology here in the form of grease nipples. I suppose I'm looking at an hour or so of 'enjoyable' knuckle bashing getting all the joints separated and then re-fixed after greasing.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Grease Nipples?????? Horrible expensive things. Since all pre-greased parts normally last OK to just beyond the warranty period, which manufacturer cares? Surely it is far better to spend extra money on electronic gismos which impress in the showroom (but actually do nothing), rather than on something oldfashioned like grease nipples that no-one ever sees.

Reply to
Brian