Unpleasant smell

I have 5month old Fiesta Blue and when I reverse for any distance e.g. backing out of driveway, I get and unpleasant smell in the car.I know that I could take it back to dealer for check but thought someone here could enlighten me on the could be cause of this smell before I do that..I would appreciate any help with this.

allan

Reply to
allan

bad egg smell ? more then likely the smell from the cat.

Reply to
reg

Yes that is the smell.Does that mean that there is something wrong with the cat.?

You wont believe this but I was sitting here thinking. what has the cat( pussy ) got to do with it.Took me a while to figure out you meant cat.converter.Shows really how far I am out of touch with car workings :-)

allan

Reply to
allan

LOL. they don't noticeably smell, its was probably more noticeable as you were reversing into the exhaust fumes. but if you continue to get strong smells it'll be worth popping it back to the dealer.

Reply to
reg

If it is a smelly cat (!), try a different brand of fuel, or try the more expensive grade. Allegedly this sometimes helps.

Don't worry too much about it; think of the poor folk who are following you!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thus spake Chris Whelan ( snipped-for-privacy@prejudicentlworld.com) unto the assembled multitudes:

Presumably as the "bad egg" smell is due to the presence of sulphur, refuelling with an "ultra low sulphur" petrol should help? I fill my Astra with ULS petrol (which is the cheapest anyway) and I don't get this smell. In fact the smell from my cat when the engine is started is almost pleasant.

Reply to
A.Clews

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "allan" saying something like:

When cats became mandatory [1]fitments on cars, it was common to be enveloped in a cloud of SO2 stink left behind a new car. The smell diminishes with use, fortunately. It's become rarer now, but some petrol / cat combinations will still do it, obviously.

[1] Mandatory, as in the only way to meet emissions requirements the makers could be bothered with.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It's far more obvious when the engine doesn't warm up often.

Reply to
DervMan

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message news:gc2tr1$ffi$ snipped-for-privacy@registered.motzarella.org...

AIUI, some makers like Ford and Jaguar were against them, as it put paid to all the research they were making at the time into 'lean burn' technology, which in the long run would have been a better way to reduce emissions and fuel consumption. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Does the car only do short runs? I was at an MOT station today where there was a very low mileage old Saxo in for the test. It initially failed the emissions even though it was up to temperature, so the tester did the full manufacturers emissions test on it (which basically gets the cat up to a decent temp), when the cat was hot it absolutely stank for the first couple of minutes.

Reply to
Pete M

In message , Mike G writes

Fuel consumption maybe but NOx emissions went through the roof with lean burn.

Reply to
Clint Sharp