Vauxhall 2.2 diesel (X22DTH) cuts out at 2200 RPM

I have a Vauxhall sintra 2.2 diesel (X22DTH) that's causing me some grief :-(

I normally like to work on cars where you get a good view of the road when you lift the bonnet - not too sure what I'm doing with this one, so please bear with me if I give you lots of irrelevant information but miss out obvious stuff.

Some weeks ago it developed a (slight) low power problem which the dealers put down to a low reading from the MAF sensor. Not an urgent matter for me as it spends most of it's time Home School where it doesn't show the problem

They also weren't sure(?) whether the vacuum was high enough. I'm getting at least 15 lb/ins2 vacuum at the pump with only the gauge connected, is that enough? - don't have a proper reading but when I stop the engine then later pull off the pipe from the vacuum pump there's a big hollow 'pung' sound so I'm guessing the system isn't leaking too much?

Before I had a chance to repair it the vehicle was hit on the head by a v.large hoarding and went in for repairs - windscreen bodywork, nothing mechanical/electrical. My current problem feels very different.

It ran poorly when I picked it up from repairs 10 days ago but suddenly got *much* worse...

Yesterday. Engine coughed a couple of times. When I pulled over to investigate it stalled and was very difficult to restart, though it did then idle fine. Stalled again though at the *first* hint of the clutch engaging - no chance of driving anywhere. (Once)Slamming the tailgate raised the RPM like I'd blipped the throttle, slamming the door stalled it - nope, not joking but I hope it was just a coincidence.

Next day when under 2200 RPM (on dash tachometer) Starts and idles fine - produces enough power to climb a 15 degree driveway and give an encouraging tug against the handbrake but I haven't yet dared to drive it anywhere for a 'proper' test - It's essential that it gets back up that drive! Anything over 2200 RPM produces a "TANG!! - Don't do that again" sort of noise and the engine essentially stalls, though it does pick up again as it falls back down to idle.

Current problems seem to get worse as the engine warms up, and starting gets a little less 'fine' too. The fuel tank says it's half full and I poured in an extra gallon just in case.

I'd be very grateful for any ideas in tracking this problem down. If I haven't given the right sort of information then please let me know.

Reply to
Tony

The message from Tony contains these words:

Since atmospheric pressure is a bit under 15 psi, unless you're measuring between a pressurised area (relative to ambient) you can't get a higher reading than that anyway!

Reply to
Guy King

Doh!

Good point :-)

Reply to
Tony

The message from Tony contains these words:

Worrying that the garage didn't spot the deliberate mistake!

Reply to
Guy King

Am I in the wrong place to ask this sort of question?

Anyone care to point me in the right direction, please?

Reply to
Tony