Mystery Wires

My "new" vehicle has many starnge wires. The alarm didn't work so I pulled out a few that obviously didn't go anywhere. Today I found a cable with three strands coming out of where the speedo cable enters the gearbox. This cable joined up to another wire, originally with the wires twisted together but now seperated. Everything seems to be working ok. The question is what could the wires have been for? I'm more curious than concerned.

It's a '95 Cav 1.7TD.

Reply to
dp

sounds like part of a fuel computer system.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Or a speed sensor for a taxi-meter system....

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt

Doubtful as its a mechanically injected entirely non electronic diesel engine.

Either its had a taxi meter, or a GPS / sat nav unit fitted by previous owner.

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

But it might be a bit off another car, fitted by a previous owner. Some cars have speed sensor for power steering that might be electronic, the old 827 had a mechanical speed sensor/valve on the cable IIRC

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Sounds just like what my Montego has, a small bit in the speedo cable with three wire coming of it, also had a few redundant wire hanging around.

It is an ex MOD and ex Taxi, still has some of the taxi cards in the glovebox :)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Anderson

Has the ticking started yet?

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

I'd go for one of these. It's not part of the original equipment with the wires pushed through a hole in a bulkhead rubber bung. I take back what I said about everything working though. The speedo isn't working after I replaced the cable and the rev counter has just packed up too. I doubt it's anything to do with these wire and I'm replacing the dash board this weekend.

Thanks for the ideas.

Reply to
dp

It might be a speed sensor for automatically increasing the the radio volume> some of the later high spec vauxhalls have this but i dont know where the switch would be but its a decent guess.>

Reply to
Gary Millar