Central locking problem / question

I have a 1995 BMW 318Ti and I need advise. My hatch will lock the doors but not unlock them. And my doors will not lock or unlock the hatch. Any ideas?

Thank you in advance to any and all suggestions.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

All of the locks on the car are operated through a mechanical action when they are operated locally (with the key). The key turns the lock and the latch is locked or unlocked. The lock mechanism strikes a switch depending on which way you twist the key. By your description, your doors work properly -- the other door locks or unlocks, as the case may be.

Operating the other locks remotely is an electrical action. The key turns the lock, which strikes a switch to operate the remaining locks. By your description, both doors will lock or unlock the other door but never operate the hatch, and the hatch will operate the doors for one operation but not the other.

My guess is, the hatch solenoid is not working because neither door will operate the hatch lock, and the hatch lock has one of two switches with a sticky linkage that affects the switch operation. A malfunctioning hatch lock will cause the doors to lock but not unlock, or vice versa. And the malfunctioning solenoid in the hatch will cause the hatch lock to not respond to the door locks. All of your problems are in the hatch.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Had similar problem on a Rover and it turned out to be a copper contact inside the lock itself that had got bent out of shape and would not register if the lock was "there" to be locked or opened or what the state was - open or locked. I simply bent it back and never had a problem with it for a further 3 years.

Just a thought. or the wires going to the lock solenoid could be broken or disconnected?

Reply to
hsg

Probably a fault.

Hatch door is deadlocked and so will not open with other doors (correct operation). Turn lock to normal.

Reply to
R. Mark Clayton

There's a good call.

I forgot to mention that the hatch (trunk lid or boot on a sedan or coupe) can be locked so that it does not respond to the door locks. If the hatch lock is horizontal, then the hatch will lock and unlock with the doors, if the hatch lock is vertical, then it will operate by input from the doors.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Thank you VERY much for the help. Now I know where to look. I can skin the hatch door myself and see if I can't "see" the problem or just change out the offending parts.

Thanks again

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it. It looks like the answer is in my hatch and likely the locking mechanism.

Cheers!

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

I know what the deadlock position is and its in the middle. This happens when its supposed to be "free" to lock or unlock. I now believe its in the lock area in the hatch so I will get in there and find it.

Thank you for the reply.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

I know about the horizontal position as I now have to use it to keep it locked. I want it back to normal where it changes state with the door locks.

Thanks again.

Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

Good luck.

I took my driver side door lacth out because the window did not drop and raise properly, and found the defective switch. There are three switches on the door latches, my guess is there are two on the hatch latch. I'm not so interested in unlocking the doors from the trunk, but I like locking the doors from there, and unlocking the trunk from the door.

One thing you might find is a broken wire in the bundle that passes between the body and the hatch. As you open and close the hatch, there is a wire bundle that flexes, and a flexed wire will eventually break.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Ah - so you CAN bottom post - well done old chap!

Reply to
DCA

Or perhaps not

Reply to
DCA

Of course I can bottom post, but my news reader defaults to posting on top, and when one can read the entire original post and my reply all in one screen, I see no reason to even care about top posting. I am a rude son of a bitch though, and it bothers me not to suggest that you are far too anal. Try posting something that is relevant, and I might change my position -- but I doubt it.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I can't help but notice that it is only important that I not top post, when others post on top and I merely follow the lead, you get in my face. What a jerk yo uare!

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Do I? oh dear - bless.

Reply to
DCA

Hmm - so why use Outlook express then - it is crap anyway Anyway, so while contained on one screen it is OK - but then it expands beyond that (yep - you may actually contribute something interesting yourself that promulgates further comment). What happens then - when the thread is all over the place?

Reply to
DCA

Think there's a free app called Quotefix which fixes that fault and several others on OE.

You like to read the answer before the question? Do you write a letter like that? Or talk?

Why are people who use OE so touchy?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Stupid, and ignorant, too.

How old is the Earth, again, Jeffy? Something around 10,000 years, you say?

Reply to
dizzy

Almost by definition, they are idiots. And Jeffy sure ain't the exception.

Reply to
dizzy

I've seen you be far worse, Jeffy. It's a fact that you are a shameless liar, when "the occasion calls for it".

Reply to
dizzy