Vauxhall New Astra 1.8i CDX (S Reg; 1999) - Problem with the air conditioning

Hi,

While using my car yesterday, I noticed that the air conditioning stopped functioning (first time since I have got the car back in 1999). Looking at the dashboard, everything seems fine, i.e. there is no visual warning of any sort.

I tried to switch off the air conditioning and switch it back on, thinking that there might have been an electrical problem of some sort, but to no avail. Still thinking along the same lines, I switched the engine off and back on, but again to no avail. I tried all the possible combinations from the dashboard, but still no difference.

Is there anything that I ought to test to ensure that there is really something wrong with my air conditioning, before sending it to the garage? Also, what could cause the air conditioning to stop working? How much does it usually cost to get the air conditioning repaired?

Cheers, Alan.

Reply to
Alan Garny

it may just ned a regas, about £80 from most places

Reply to
ford_technical_

Last year my Astra did the same I had it regassed and found that the condensor (the radiator at the front of the engine just behind the bumper attached to the main coolant radiator) had a hole in it just behind the fan. I have since found out this is a common failure on the Astra air con system, the guy who regassed and repaired the system supplied and fitted the parts cheaper than I could buy them at trade prices! Ensure that whoever you get to do the system knows what they are doing otherwise you may just get a regassing and no proper repair. It's also important that the right ammount of gas is put in, too little and the system doesn't work correctly and too much and the compressor will fail. Gerry of SPS Auto Services in Farnham came out to me in Basingstoke highly recommended Tel: 0845 6328954

Reply to
sadcrab

Thanks a lot for this, that is very useful information!

Cheers, Alan.

Reply to
Alan Garny