Vectra oil pressure light

On my 1999 1.8 Vectra, 68,000 miles, the oil light comes on at low tickover speed, at a rev-counter reading of about 600 rpm (which I realise is a bit low for idle). Is this usual? I note, the handbook does mention this, but I had never noticed it on my 1993 Cavalier. Is this anything to worry about? Any comments appreciated.

Reply to
4square

No it's not usual and yes it is something to worry about.

Reply to
Conor

Check the oil, then the oil pump. If there's not enough oil or the oil pump is clogged or shagged, then something expensive is.

Reply to
Doki

If you mean the oil pressure light, it's not unusual to see this flicker if the idle speed is too low, especially if the engine is hot. What is it meant to be?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As others have said, for some engines it's not unusual to see the low oil pressure warning light illuminate when the engine is idling and it's hot. But this usually means after lugging five people, luggage and a trailer up a

20% hill in the height of summer, then having a cuppa tea at the top with the engine idling. Okay slight exaggeration but you get the point. Perhaps after a motorway run (when you pull off the services).

Have you checked the oil? When was it last changed?

Reply to
DervMan

What is the oil viscosity?

If it is too thin for the engine then the pressure will be low, but plenty of oil will gt around the engine. If it is too thick then the pressure will be high, but the oil will not reach all the oilways. It is very important to use the correct viscosity of oil.

Reply to
a.n.other

Don't be silly.

Reply to