vw bora revving itself

My bora has decided to start revving itself for no reason. When I'm in neutral it just rev's. Occurs anytime. Bit of a strange problem.

Happened a few times since the first about a month ago. Have it booked into a garage just need to drop it off Monday.

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light on it ?

Reply to
Steve

Petrol / Diesel, Year?

Reply to
A C

petrol 2002

Reply to
Steve

do you run the fuel tank low? replaced the fuel filter? dirty injectors?

Reply to
Joe

Air con coming in and out?

Reply to
mrcheerful

I know nothing about the VW, but the same happened on a Cavalier and the wife's Ka - in both cases a knackered Idle Control Valve (or whatever each manufacturer decided to call them). If you have one, then relatively simple to remove and clean (at least it was on the above cars) - but often only real cure is replace with new. The only thing that concerns me is the age of the car - I would not have thought that an ICV would be gummed up after 4 years.

Reply to
Mike Dodd

Had same problem on a couple of Carltons i owned. Turned out to be the Idle Control Valve sticking. The crankcase exhuast pipe was plumbed in to the inlet of the ICV , (via a filter box that gets gummed up) and, as the engines were getting a bit aged they were getting gummed up by crankcase oil,

In this case easy to clean by taking ICV off and cleaning with Crab Cleaner and renewing filter box. Had to be done every 2,000 miles or so though.

Reply to
Merryterry

I never run fuel low. Not sure where the fuel filter is, but I know it hasn't been changed for the last 2 years since I had the car worth investiating. You've lost me on injectors no savvy in this sort of thing. But will have a look in the haynes and look up these things and locate and check.

Thanks

Reply to
Steve

I thought at first it was the air con but it wasn't on. On a previous car the revs went up when the air con was on. Also the mechanic said the car may have been trying to power the alternator to prevent a flat battery. He was just the apprentice now he runs the place actually.

Reply to
Steve

For the cleanest crabs around! :)

Reply to
Krycek

This is one of the pesky fly by wire VAG's with the dodgy throttle bodies...

Most likely is a duff or sticking pedal position sensor. DVM it to be sure. (BOTH tracks must tally and range from 0.5v-5v ) and if not that then the ecu has thrown a wobbly and forgotten the ETM calibration and needs re-aligning. (2mins with a VAGCOM)

If doing both of them doesnt work , then replace the ETM.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)