over revving

Hi, I have a mk3 astra 1.6 16v. The other day the engine management light came on. As I pulled over the engine cut out. I tried restarting but it didn't want to know. I tried it with a bit of throttle and it started but was really lumpy and then cut out again. I then left it for a few minutes then tried again and it started and ran fine as if nothing had happened, I then drove to my destination which was 5 minutes away.

About an hour later I got back in the car and started it without any problems whatsoever, no light, nothing. About five minutes into my journey just all of a sudden the revs went up to

6,000+. I pulled over and switched the engine off. I tried restarting the car a few times after this after letting it sit for a while only to be faced with the same thing, engine revving up to 6,000+.

I eventually called the AA out who pulled out a code from the ecu which said it had a fault with the secondary air pump or something (cant remember exactly what it was). He said he didn't know what that was but went and made a phone call and came back saying the code was something to do with the catalytic converter. He then had a look under the bonnet and found a small split about 10mm in the hose between the inlet manifold and the throttle body. That was all he found wrong and had no other suggestions as to what may be causing the excessive revs. I then had the car towed to a garage that a mate of mine runs, which luckily was only about a mile away from where it broke down. They have since had a look at the car and replaced the split hose, and have found another air hose split and are waiting on that before continuing looking at the car.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had similar problems and if so what the hell was wrong with it? Any help in this matter would be extremely well received and I would very very grateful. Thanks. Guy Smith

Reply to
Guy Smith

You've juast posted the answer. THe airleak probably fooled the ECU which then decided to dump more fuel into the engine.

Reply to
Conor