VW golf III TBI unit questions

I am thinking about replacing my carburetor with FI system. I run 99% of the time on LPG, and I'll concentrate at that, so TBI injection will be fine (TBI unit has injector, fuel pressure regulator, TPS and idle control in one unit, so it seems that it is the simplest).

Few photos can be seen here:

Can someone tell me if golf III TBI unit has stepper motor for idle control? Or some sort of servo, or something else? And it seems that there are 4 pin and 6 pin versions. What is the difference? Bipolar / unipolar servo?

And TPS has 4 pin connector. Why, three is enough?

Injector connector also has 4 pins, and 4 wires from it to injector. Does it have two injectors?

BTW, I plan to use megasquirt for my project.

Reply to
Yvan

Nedavno Yvan napisa:

I bought used idle actuator, and took it apart, 4 pin one has DC motor, two pins are unused. Does anyone know if 6 pin actuator has stepper motor inside?

I would appreciate any help, it is unreasonable = expensive to buy parts just to take it apart. And where I am secondhand parts are expensive.

Ping Mrcheerful...

Reply to
Yvan

Nedavno Yvan napisa:

I did some more checking, and it seems that two pins are not unused. They are used for some sort of positioning control, the best I can describe it that they are connected to a mechanism that is similar to contact points in ignition system, and are also used for sensing when throttle plate lever is in contact with the idle actuator.

Reply to
killefitz

This has to be reset (or zero'd) on a computer if you pulled it apart and cleaned it.

Reply to
Rob

And you'll probably have more luck on on the VW/Audi forums or Vag-coms forum.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Nedavno Duncan Wood napisa:

I am making my own idle controller (computer).

Can anyone post a link to a good one?

Reply to
Yvan

vwvortex or

quattroforum.com is also worth a punt.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Nedavno Duncan Wood napisa:

OK, thank you, I'll try there and post what I find here.

Reply to
Yvan

Nedavno Yvan napisa:

Here is what I found. Both 4 pin and 6 pin idle actuators have DC motor inside, but 6 pin version has some sort of Hall sender for positioning

- judging from a wiring diagram:

Injector connector has four pins also, but two are for the injector, and two for the air temperature sensor.

Reply to
Yvan

Reply to
raminwatandoust