VW Golf MK4 - Slow seizing windscreen wipers - Tips for cowl removal please?

Hi all,

From reading forums on the Internet, I gather that seizing and slowing front wipers on my 'S' registration VW Golf Mk4 TDI are common and usually down to water ingress in a bush through which a wiper support spindle passes causing rust and seizure.

My problem is that my car is in Spain at present and will be driven home to UK in July. I'll certainly need the wipers working fine before then! My plan is to obtain a new wiper rack (about £40 I believe) and bring it with me to Spain next month.

Can anyone give me any tips on removing the plastic lower windscreen cowling so that I can access the wiper motor and assembly? I have read that it is possible to crack it by trying to remove it in the wrong way and that is the last thing I want to do out here.

The Haynes manual is it's usual helpful self by carefully telling you how to remove the wiper motor and rack assembly after you have removed the plastic cowl. However, nowhere does it advise on any method for removing the cowl.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ray.

Reply to
Ray Davis

It's not hard. Just don't bend it too much.

You are likely to find that the wiper arms will stick on the spindles, but thet can be rocked back and forth to release them, usually.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

The procedure will be the same as for the Skoda Octavia MKI, I should think, which is based on the MV4. It's a known problem and the cowl issue is the same on the Octavia too. Have a look at the forums on

for many posts about removal (and some stories of breaking them too.)

Reply to
EvB

I'd guess the same as an Audi A3 too. I *did* manage to break the cowl, through not being careful enough :-).

Reply to
Chris Bartram

IIRC the technique is "carefully", the covers realtively week & the clips are quite strong. It's not a massively critical part & gaffer tape repairs it but if you ping it off at each clip it's fine.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Just wanted to say a quick 'thank you' to everyone who offered advice.

I am a member of the Briscoda forum as my other car is a Fabia 2007 2. Found reference to the Octy MK1 in there, although the cowl is 2 piece whereas on the Golg MK4 it is one piece.

Still, very good advice and I am grateful.

Regards,

Ray.

Reply to
Ray Davis