Slow wipers

Got a mk4 Golf, 2000, X reg. The wipers are very slow, so low that they almost stopped mid way across the windscreen.

Could this be a seized linkage problem or a burnt out motor???

Could anyone details the procedure to check, or lube the linkage etc.

Thanks

Reply to
vw-lover

Just had that problem... The motor was fine. It was the main assembly with the pivots that were seized up. I bought linkages also just in case, they were a mere $7 CAD each at the dealer, while the wiper base assembly was $116 CAD. It solved my slow wipers...

Oh yeah, just to clarify, The linkages will rarely seize since the linkages have plastic joint receptacles. They would wear through, not seize. Get the wiper base, and about 1/2 hour of work... it's really easy to change. The hardest part was getting the wiper arms off the pivots, but a bit of liquid wrench or release-all soaked in will make it easier.

Reply to
McScratchy

Another point : do it quickly, before your motor goes.

Reply to
Hans