VW Passat Electric Windows

1999 Volkwagen Passat 110TDI.

The NSF electric window stopped working when I tried to wind it down when there was ice on it. (Yes, I know, silly boy)

I've had the door to bits this morning and I can see that the cable which pulls the window up and down has snapped.

The cable is quite long and has little hexagonal bits attached to either ends and attached somehow in 2 places along its length to allow the window clamps to clip on. I am loathed to spend £65 on new door insides from an online shop when I believe that a simple new cable will sort it.

The cable is a lot like the inner part of brake cable for a bike.

Time isn't really a problem as its not my car, otherwise I'd just plump up for the part to sort it quickly.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a sort of place that might be able to fabricate a new cable or sell me the bits so I could cobble one together myself.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Douglas Payne (Douglas Payne ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I had the cables go in exactly the same way on my XM - Roy did us a repair kit, and it worked fine on one of them. I over-crimped the ferrules for the other one, but the plastic cable drum was also bollocksed on that, which may have contributed to it re-failing.

Reply to
Adrian

I've been cruising about all day trying to find a shop I can buy this sort of cable in.

Bicycle brake cables are too short in this case and the Marine/Yacht Engineers I tried said that they didn't do cable thin enough.

Will try sending your man an email asking about Passats. His eBay shop seems to be fairly exclusively french kits.

Many thanks.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Land Rover 90 bonnet release cable might well do it. They're about a fiver.

Reply to
Pete M

Blimey - how long do you need?

Take a look at a tandem brake cable, if you want 1.6mm, or gear cable for

1.2mm.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

This particular car has 1 cable which is about 7 or 8 feet long. I've seen pictures of other Passats online that have 4 cables to do the same job which are a bit shorter.

Aha! That looks like it might be just the ticket.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

If all else fails Rope assemblies will make you one as a custom.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Douglas Payne (Douglas Payne ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

I don't think a Freelander's French. Or a Ka, Hyundai or Fiat Brava. If you've got the measurements, Roy'll add it to the list.

I gather the cable's easy to source, the ferrules MUCH more difficult.

Reply to
Adrian

For the record, I replaced the cable with 1.5mm galvanised steel wire that I got from B&Q for 67p/metre. There's about 3.2m of wire in each front door.

I used the metal insides of electrical connector block ground down to fit the length of the holes for the ferrules on the motor drum and window clips. I epoxied the connector block to the wire for good measure. Hopefully it'll last till the car dies/is sold.

It's also possible to buy ferrules from fishing shops (apparently some people use 1.5mm steel wire for catching *big* fish). They are also available from some Yacht Chandlers and people who design banister systems and probably shop window display systems. I never saw ones that were exactly like the the ones on the original cable.

As Adrian pointed out earlier in the thread, there's a chap selling kits on the bay of Es. If I add the cost of the bits I bought together I'll have saved a couple of pounds over the ebay price, but if I add the cost and hassle of trailing round shops, I'd have been quids in ordering a ready made kit online.

Reply to
Douglas Payne