Split Outer CV Gaiter - Warranty Item?

After some advice please.

My 3 year old Peugeot has just gone in for its first MOT and they have found a split outer CV gaiter which needs to be fixed for it to pass the MOT.

As the car is still (just) under warranty, I said that I thought it should be covered. The garage has said that it is not covered and want a horrendous amount of money to replace it.

I don't know much about cars (sorry) but wondered whether anyone can let me know whether this would normally be covered under a standard manufacturer's warranty, or whether I should be expected to pay for this repair. Also wondered how much something like this should cost to replace.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Chris

Reply to
silent.knight

I think it's a disgrace that the dealer will not honour the guarantee. The CV gaiters on my Nissan Almera are intact after 12 years. Read the small print carefully and then possibly use the small claims procedure. If all fails, have a look at:

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

Have you had the car from new? Has the selling dealer serviced it?

If the answer to both questions is yes, I would be looking for a contribution at the very least.

Chris too!

Reply to
Chris Whelan

45quid for part and fitted. (8quid for the boot)
Reply to
Neil - Usenet

Yes, had the car from new and always serviced at Peugeot main dealers.

Done 53k miles and just under 3 years, so I don't think they really have a leg to stand on!

Will let you know how I get on.

Many thanks

Chris

Reply to
silent.knight

Waer and tear item. It's a bit of rubber that has to flex a lot and splits.

Reply to
Conor

as Conor says its a wear & tear item there is no way you will get this done under warranty certainly not after 3 years. Irrespective whether you have had it dealer/independent maintained.

Reply to
reg

not a hope in hell !!

Reply to
reg

Never say never ;-)

What would it cost a dealer in terms of a lost sale next time around compared to giving a discount on a CV boot replacement?

As a regular customer of a main dealer, I've had work done FOC *outside* of the warranty in the past. If I was in the OP's situation, and got totally blanked, I would go elsewhere next time I was buying; I would also make certain the sales team knew why.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

its known as a "perishable" item, would he be the same had a bulb blown 3 years down the line?

ive replaced c.v gaiters in the past for mot retification work, only to find they have split a year later on re-examination, possibly from a stone or some other foreign object & these are a decent make boot if not genuine.

Reply to
reg

It's designed to flex a lot and NOT split. Lots mechanical parts experience wear and tear but are still covered by warranty - wheel bearings, engine bearings, etc. The wear and tear exclusion is usually only applied to parts that are replaced at routine servicing or have a finite service life - brake linings, clutch linings, wiper blades. You need to read the exclusions in the small print of the warranty.

Reply to
gustavfenk

OTOH I've owned cars over the last 25 years that have ranged from new up to nine years old. Not one of them has had a CV gaiter split. (Yes, they

*have* all been FWD!)

BTW, as well as expecting some help from a dealer if a gaiter failed on a car still within warranty, I wouldn't expect to have to pay for two replacements within a year!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thankfully some dealerships and / or garages take more of a commercial point of view with cases such as this.

Reply to
DervMan

yes indeed & we would look at with a sypathetic view with regards to good customer relations.

Reply to
reg

Gotcha! :)

If the original poster has been using the same dealership for the last three years for all servicing, I'm surprised they've not offered to come part of the way.

Reply to
DervMan

You have obviously never owned a Mk1 Fiat Panda....

I had one for five years from 31,500 miles to 80,000 miles and I went through 3 sets of inner driveshaft gaiters, and one set of outer driveshaft gaiters

You always knew when an inner gaiter had split as there would be a puddle of

5 pints of gearbox oil under the car......

Thankfully, The Citroen AX, The Peugeot 106 and the Peugeot 206 I've owned since have been much better in this regard

Regards

Stephen

Reply to
Mallory

If I had, I'd be too embarrassed to admit it publicly :-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I know the Fiat Panda Mk 1 was derided in public, but this car got me from Evesham to Oxford everyday for 3 years....

It is such a practical shopping basket on wheels I once even had a bath, a sink and a toilet in it and was still able to close the the boot lid and was still able to sit in the car to drive it and close the driver's door.

another time I had a trailer on the end of it with a grand piano on it, and everywhere I went, people were turning their heads as they could not believe that a Panda could tow a trailer..... mine was the 4x4 version of the fiat Panda

I had tuned up the engine and was routinely able to do up to 40MPH in 2nd gear and up to 65MPH in 3rd gear. 0 to 60 was about 20 seconds.....

Stephen.

Reply to
Mallory