VW Sharan low power

The family's out grown my trusty Galant, so moved to a 1997 VW Sharan 20l petrol. I don't expect red hot performance from this type of car, but it's piss poor, it wouldn't pull me out of bed. It doesn't seem to be missing or anything. Does anyone know if they're all like this or have I got a dud. The Galant had buckets of power right up through the revs, but this thing just about gets going at 3000rpm and even then nothing great.

Any previous experience/knowledge, appreciated.

John

Reply to
John

I had a '54' plate one as a loan vehicle when mine went in for a service 2.0 petrol.... It couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding frankly, it was sooooo slow.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

I've not driven one for months but the 2.0l petrols are slow, there's a reason why the diesels cost more.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Do people never read car reviews or get test drives?

Not only have you bought one off the worst cars on the road, you've bought one off the slowest.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

The message from "Moray Cuthill" contains these words:

Various magazines rate the Touran highly - but my brother's looking to sell his after less than six months.

Reply to
Guy King

Ok, errr, can we ask why? - Or are you just saying he is selling it?

Which model does he have?

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

The message from "Nik&Andy" contains these words:

He doesn't like the ride or the available power.

Er - a diesel. Not the most powerful version, but the next one down. He was comparing my Montego TD estate favourably with it!

Reply to
Guy King

The ride is fantastic, it is based on the new GolfMk5 - Every car journalist in the world has commented on how well the Touran handles with it's independant rear suspension.... Are you sure he was talking of the Touran, not the Sharan? It also has ESP and Traction control as standard.

There are only two Diesels ATM - 105Bhp 8Valve Diesel or the 140Bhp 16V Diesel. I have driven both extensivly, can't say I would have been upset with the

105bhp version, it had 'enough' power, certainly was nowhere near as slow as the 2.0 Sharan.. Mind you, the 1.6 petrol was a little gutless, but not what I would call terrible.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

The message from "Nik&Andy" contains these words:

Nope - I've followed if often enough to have "Touran" printed on my retina.

Reply to
Guy King

Apart from it being slow, I've no other problems. A wheelchair user had it previously so there's very low milage for the age and it's spotless, so I only drove around the block before buying.

John

Reply to
John