VW Sharan blown tubo

VW Sharan 1998 1.8 petrol turbo One of the girls that work in my pub was on her way to see her parents this weekend and broke down on the M way Mr RAC man says the turbo has blown, she rung me to say she would not be back for work Monday and asked how much i thought a repair would cost. Can anyone give me a price for this. TA

-
Reply to
Mark

More than the car's worth.

Reply to
SteveH

Especially if the girl is anything like my sister. She would only have called it a "breakdown" and stopped if bits of turbo got sucked in to the engine and wrecked it or if it used up all the oil and the engine seized.

Reply to
Tony Houghton

It's not really a question that can be answered without examining the vehicle; you can't say a turbo costs x and it's y number of hours, then add the two together. Autodata gives 2.2 hours for a turbo swap, and you would need to ring round for a price on the turbo, but the possibility of additional engine damage is fairly high.

Either way, as others have said, it's unlikely to be a viable repair.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Well, quite. This is an RAC man's diagnosis after all.

Reply to
Mike P

So you know if the car actually stopped, disappeared in a cloud of smoke or started to run really badly? Or a combination of all three..It's not unknown for RAC/AA/Green Flag men to talk total bollocks. I had an old Saab that would run fine on boost, but when idling it let a lot of oil through the turbo seals and within a minute would be shrouded in smoke. AA said it was knackered, cost me £150 for a recon job on the turbo and about

30 mins to swap it myself. Obviously she's not going to do that, but as Chris says, it's only a 2hr job and a recon or S/H turbo providing the vanes haven't disintegrated and been sucked into the motor.
Reply to
Mike P

All she said was very loud screeching noise loss of power and motorway behind disappeared in clouds of smoke, so she pulled over and rung RAC, Its been towed to a local garage up north somewhere, i did not really have the heart to tell her it would likely cost more then its worth but did tell her to get an estimate from the garage before any work was started. But if it is only the turbo and the book time for replacement is only 2.2 hours a recon turbo may be worth it for her. thanks to all that replied.

-
Reply to
Mark