VX Moanaro New or Old ?

Anybody had a Monaro. Have heard that the new one is not as good as the old one ( ie 6.0 versus 5.7 ) due to all the added emissions c**p.

John H

Reply to
Hirsty's

The message from "Hirsty's" contains these words:

I'd never even heard of one till I went and googled! are they unpopular? I don't recall seeing one before.

Reply to
Guy King

Ossie rebadged for UK, has a V8 and 180 plus mph 0 - 60 5.3s, looks similar to Vectra but has two twin tailpipes. Not many imported.

Reply to
Hirsty's

In message , Guy King writes

Bit of a niche product. Big V8 powered coupes. Rear wheel drive, slightly crude, were priced around 29-36k for the 5.7 in variants from

329-377bhp.

For someone in the market for a practical muscle car with hooligan tendencies, they were stonking value new (as new cars go). Seems to be a few fairly low mileage used ones about for around 18k. Interesting alternative to a Golf GTi for people who don't care about fuel bills...

Reply to
Steve Walker

MG ZT240 is another interesting altrernative.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Steve Walker

Plus tyres, plus insurance...

But it will do 70mph cruising at something like 2000rpm. Clarkson said it felt like being on a travelator.

Reply to
Johannes

Eh, the body is clearly a coupe version of the Omega.

Reply to
Johannes

Similar to Vectra? Are you utterly clueless?

Aussie-built Omega Coupe, powered by Corvette engine. Has about as much in common with a Vectra as a Goat has with the space Shuttle. RWD, not FWD...

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

If you can find one of the 843 built (including Rover V8 models). Sure. And ZT260 :)

I'd prefer a ZT-T 260 over the Monaro.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

RichardK ( snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMbtconnect.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I thought the "Audi-goatee" Rover front was reserved for the Rover v8s - saw one the other weekend - with a v6 badge on the wing. LWB, though.

Reply to
Adrian

Monaro for me I reckon - although i wouldn't say no to either :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

The 6.0 is more powerful, the VXR version isn't it? The only thing emissions crap would do is reduce power surely - and as it has more - i'd say the 6.0 was better :)

Reply to
DanTXD
"

I meant in shape, humblest apologies for the offence

Reply to
Hirsty's

As I recall, it got used on the 'Vanden Plas' LWB model too.

They found car 844 - a Black ZT. For sale, list price.

Wish I had the money TBH... though I've discovered the NEW MX-5 is Contract Hire under £200/month now, so I think next year's car is already chosen (and isn't the 116i ES after all!).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

RichardK ( snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMbtconnect.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Must have been what this was, then.

306 Convertible, Beetle Convertible, MX-5, 1-series - look, Richard, there's really nothing to be ashamed of in admitting your sexuality. It's not THAT big a deal.
Reply to
Adrian

I just bought an XR4i :P

But, I feel I have to defend the 1-series (the MX-5 really is its own defence for any keen driver) - admittedly only based on a 30 mile test drive, it is a very sharp handling, involving car and very different to the rest of the euroboxes.

Still highly resentful of the image it carries and the additional "Haha, you wanted a Beemer but could only afford the cheap one" when really the joke is "You wanted a new small, fun, RWD car and the only choice was a Beemer"

(If I decide to save some cash and downgrade, I'm seriously considering a New Yaris. I rather like the mad interior. But... my dealer says "Get the diseasel").

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

In message , RichardK writes

I never understood that jibe anyway. It's a 146bhp rear-drive roadster, and it's somehow more girly than, say, a small hatchback?

Now the new Tigra (Corsa CC), that's indefensible.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Steve Walker ( snipped-for-privacy@otolith.demon.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I suspect it's partially a hangover from the original MX-5, all 90bhp or whatever the original 1.6 was...

The fact that a specific car has an image as being driven by hairdressers/girls/gays whatever certainly doesn't imply it's not any good

- I know people in all three categories who definitely enjoy their driving...

Reply to
Adrian

In message , Adrian writes

Suppose so. It was only ever a Japanese rip-off of a trad British roadster, though.

Ours belongs to my wife, so I suppose the stereotype runs true to that extent. The unexpected lairy power oversteer demonstration I got round a damp roundabout this evening (and the big grin from SWMBO, who was driving at the time) supports your theory.

I must confess to inventing excuses for not taking our turning whenever it's wet so that I can powerslide the thing round the mini-roundabout at the end of the road. It's just such a benignly chuckable little beast.

Reply to
Steve Walker