VX Omega coolant leak

Hi, My Omega has started losing coolant. I had a head gasket leak a couple of years ago, and I don't think it's that this time. I find that the rate of leakage is dependent on whether the heater is on high or not, and also the passenger side footwell is pretty wet. So I guess it in the heater matrix area behind the fascia ? Does this sound likely, the car is about 10 years old ? If so, is it more likely to be the hoses, heater matrix or control valves ? Is there any way of telling short of stripping down the front dash/fascia ?

If it is this area, is it practical for a diy'er to strip down the fascia etc to get to these components ? If not how much is a garage likely to charge for sort of repair ?

Thanks for any help Tony

Reply to
Tony Benham

In most modern cars the heater matrix is the first bit they fit - the rest of the car is built round it! At least it seems that way. Not looked at this on my Omega yet, but sometimes it's easier to access them from the engine bay.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

The message from Chris Bolus contains these words:

Like Minis and speedo cables.

Reply to
Guy King

Yes, you disconnect that when the block is halfway out of the car!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Chris Bolus wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Looks like you have written off your Omega :-( The cost to replace the matrix will probably be more than the car is worth. Unless you do it yourself. In order of easiness:

Auto without aircon Auto with aircon Manual without aircon Manual with aircon

If you have a manual with aircon give yourself a good half day, lots of bleeding knuckles and a good swear box. I did it properly and moved the whole dash forwards, others have unbolted half the dash and pulled it back with a rope to gain access!

Will

Reply to
Will

Hi Will, "Luckily" my car is auto without aircon so you think that's the easiest ? I have the Haynes manual, so I've got some chance of working out how to do it. Is there anything I need to watch out for ? One question nobody answered. Is it likely that the matrix could fail on a nearly 10 year old car ? It could be the hoses around the matrix I guess ? I suppose either way round I would need to strip down the the dash anyway so it doesn't particularly matter ! Regards Tony

Reply to
Tony Benham

"Tony Benham" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Yes almost certainly the matrix, the pipe connecting to the matrix is solid aluminium so as long as you used anti-freeze should be OK. There are a number of 'o'rings on the edge of the matrix which join the various cores of the matrix together via a plastic end cap, this is where they usually go. The Matrix on my 1993 car went about four years ago. Auto without aircon is easiest so no evaporator to get in the way and no clutch pedal to wedge down!

Keep well,

Will

Reply to
Will