Welding my Series III

Hi all,

Well I decided toweld my Series up on the chassis like some of you suggested. I have used 3 mm plate and seam welded it, it looks fairly neat. However I have a question.

I blew a little hole along one seam and so simply very carefully filled it with mig wire, got a big pool of weld and gradually extended it over the little hole, will this be strong enough? The pool of weld in the hole is probably something like 5 mm.

I suspect the 3 mm plate will be strong enough for the MOT .

Yours Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Yeah should be fine... I normally manage a few more holes than that on older pannels / material.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sat, 02 Oct 2004 23:00:33 GMT, "Andrew Renshaw" enlightened us thusly:

OTT, in fact, the original chassis is about 2mm and that's before it rusts.

if you blew a hole, you didn't extend the plate far enough. The MOT type probably won't fail it provided there are no actual holes.

When patching chassis, I tend to apply a smallish ball-pein hammer (about a

12-oz), ball-end-to, to the chassis around the visible hole, quite vigourously. Often, the hole gets bigger, and any surrounding metal that you can dent is too thin. especially with holes low on the chassis tube, go along several inches around it, and hammer away 'til you're convinced you've found all the weak spots, then patch all over the affected area.
Reply to
Austin Shackles