what car to buy

Hi All

Need to buy a replacement car for son

£2000 to spend

Looking for a mid size hatchback/estate diesel if possible

Spent some time on Honest Johns site where it appears most cars are crap

After years of browsing this group would not consider anything French

Considering

Volvo v 40 Focus Astra but not sure about injector seal problems

any other suggestions & comments appreciated

Tony

Reply to
TMC

There's at least two citro-philes on this group...

Ok, I'd ignore Renault, but definitely look at PSA stuff. Xantia diesel :-)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Clive George ( snipped-for-privacy@xxxx-x.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ummm...

Well, he asked for something smaller - and Xants are getting a bit old now

- I wouldn't touch a C5 with yours, either... 406 Estate, though, would be a good buy.

If they're too big, then a 306 is a bloody good solid car - or a Xsara if you don't want anything even remotely interesting to drive...

This whole "Oooh! No! Not French!" is daft. There's nowt inherently wrong with French cars (well, PSA...) and that attitude can work _very_ much in your favour when you're buying 'em...

Reply to
Adrian

Bad child. It's not as if you've got a shortage of others though :-)

Don't say that - I'm only just getting used to the idea that BXs have fallen off the banger market. (4.5 years ago there were loads on autotrader, now none.) I think an HDi Xant may replace the BX when it dies - unless of course it just keeps going, which at the moment it does seem to be doing.

For looks, if no other reason (scary electrics?)

That's more like what I was actually thinking..

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Clive George ( snipped-for-privacy@xxxx-x.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Everything's got scary multiplexed electrics these days...

The C5's just one of those cars where the development engineers seemed to be having an off-day. Loads of really silly bits of detail design making one helluva pita for maintenance. Having to cut rear calipers apart and off to change the disks is not uncommon, apparently.

Reply to
Adrian

We bought an M reg diesel (non turbo) ZX about 8 months ago for the wife to pootle about in. Bloody lovely car, economic, easy to work on, big enough inside etc.

Reply to
Malc